Upgrade 3.4 to 3.6 stuck on InnoDB Error Msgs

Upgrade 3.4 to 3.6 stuck on InnoDB Error Msgs

per Sarah Ashley -
Nombre de respostes: 5

Hello Lovely People!

I am baffled as to why I am stuck on this screen with the "Antelope-to-Barracuda" and "Large File Prefix" warnings at the Server Environment check stage of upgrading our Moodle site from 3.4.3 to 3.6.3 on a VPS, with all the MySQL variables already set and collation set to the required utf8mb4_unicode_ci on the database, tables and columns.

Server Info:

• Linux, CentOS6
  • PHP 7.2
  • MySQL 5.63
  • Source Moodle 3.4.3
  • Destination Moodle 3.6.3
  • Database Variables set to required parameters as follows:

showing innodb large prefix setting is ON

other innodb file variables set to required Barracuda and ON
Updated the database and its tables to collation utf8mb4_unicode_ci

database tables with collation set to utf8mb4_unicode_ci

Upgraded collation of DB table columns to utf8mb4_unicode_ci as required, (sample table column "commenttext" below):
sample db table column with correct collation utf8mb4_unicode_ci

And yet, still no joy to proceed! Trist

Moodle install server environment check screen with file format and prefix warnings

What else do I need to do? This hasn't happened to me before. Upgrades have always gone smoothly after running the MySQL queries in PhpMyAdmin to set those global variables. I have run them on the WHM PhpMyAdmin and on the cPanel PhpMyAdmin. The variables show as already having these requisite values. 

I used the OPERATIONS feature in PhpMyAdmin to update the collation of the source (Moodle 3.4) db and its tables and columns to utf8mb4_unicode_ci.

I don't understand why I am still seeing this message. Can anyone think of something else I need to do?

Please help?

Thank you so very much!

**PS: Even trying a fresh install of Moodle 3.6.3 is getting stuck on this same screen with those 2 items highlighted red. So is there something amiss on the WHM side?

Mitjana de qualificacions: -
En resposta a Sarah Ashley

Re: Upgrade 3.4 to 3.6 stuck on InnoDB Error Msgs

per Emma Richardson -
Imatge Documentation writers Imatge Particularly helpful Moodlers Imatge Plugin developers

Forgive the question but are you sure that your config.php is referencing the correct database?  Have you tried restarting mysql?  Clearing moodle caches?

En resposta a Emma Richardson

per Sarah Ashley -

Hi Emma,

Thanks for responding.

Yes, the config file is pointing to the correct database. 

And I did restart MySQL after making changes to the variables everytime.

Cleared my browser cache, used different browsers, tried incognito windows, and nothing changed.

Quite bizarre!

per Rick Jerz -
Imatge Particularly helpful Moodlers Imatge Testers

Have you edited your my.cnf file on your server to make the Barracuda and utf8mb4 changes?  Just a thought.  In the Moodle docs, you should find more information about this my.cnf file.

For example, here are two lines from my own my.cnf file.

innodb_file_format=Barracuda

innodb_large_prefix

per Ken Task -
Imatge Particularly helpful Moodlers

Pardon intrusion ... but ... if one uses Global commands for changing MySQL those are good/set for as long as the DB server *isn't* restarted ... whatever Global command you might have issued after restart reverts back to defaults.   That goes for server as well as client connections (Moodle code is a client connection).

To make those settings permanent, one must set them in my.cnf (the config file fore MySQL) ... in your case, probably called 'my.ini'.

Please see what one might add to config file via:

https://docs.moodle.org/36/en/MySQL_full_unicode_support

Also note, those settings added to config so that they are in affect on startup are really for any *new* databases.  Those additions will not automagically convert existing databases.

There are some .php scripts in code/admin/cli/ that will help convert tables, etc.   Those scripts can only be run from command line.   Or, you could continue to use PHPMyAdmin I guess ... being a CLI person, myself, I know those those CLI scripts mentioned work.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

En resposta a Ken Task

per Sarah Ashley -

Hello Ken,

Heartfelt thanks for this valuable information!

I will be hunting down the my.ini file to set up those changes so they remain permanent. 

Turns out that there was an uncancelled shared hosting account with the same domain name I was working with that was pointing to a different IP address, and taking precedence. So, I have instructed to have that old IP changed to the new server's IP. And got rid of the unused hosting account!

This should work now!

If not, I will be back for sure, but I am confident that we have found the root cause for the persistent error.

Thanks again!

Best,

Sarah