Shared hosting for 3.6*

Shared hosting for 3.6*

by Tamie Pryor -
Number of replies: 10

Do you know of shared hosting that can accommodate latest version? 1&1 only supports 3.4* and does not have what is needed to for the latest version. They are not making any promises on whether they will accommodate. 

Bluehost told me flat out that they do not offer mariaDB, Oracle database, and whatever the file thing is needed.  

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tamie Pryor

Re: Shared hosting for 3.6*

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Maybe it's time to check your 'mind set' - from 'where can I find the cheapest hosting'
to one of 'where can I find the most secure at a price I can afford!'   Plus. provides me, a non-IT person, tools to administer the server 'easily'.

For reference:
https://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/83358/hacking/cve-2019-0211-apache-flaw.html

Take a gander at the above URL because hosting providers are listed.

Am almost willing to bet most of those are WordPress sites which doesn't have
any 'special requirements' although recently WP did up the ante on PHP.  On shared hosting bet there are more WP customers than not and providers won't do anything that affects the majority of customers on such systems.

Now am not a Biz Whiz nor am I trying to be insulting with the next bit of 'sharing' here (consider it food for thought) ...

Do you sell courses?   How much per course/per particiapant?
Up to now, you've probably had a good profit margin.

As far as the 'file thing needed' ... which refers to database software.
MariaDB seems to be the most recent 'darling' for Ubuntu, CentOS, and RHEL.
Doesn't mean MySQL (your Oracle?) is out of the 'race' in that arena.

Seems the DB industry is also leaning towards utf8mb4 character set/collation with what MySQL calls 'Barracuda' (that 'file thing needed').

Moodle does now offer MoodleCloud.

Only one thing constant ... change ... and it seems never 'lower' but always 'higher' - never really cheaper also!

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Tamie Pryor -

Thank you for all of the info. I am very new to this and appreciate all of the help I can get. 

In reply to Tamie Pryor

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

This might help:

https://hostadvice.com/tools/web-hosting-comparison/

Although the chat thing is kinda annoying.

Allows you to compare up to 3 hosting providers.

Do compare TMD Hosting with ohhhh ... let's say Inmotion Hosting.

Afraid that when doing so, it would help to know something about what you plan to do with Moodle.

Example: 10000 projected students ... all courses will be 100% video/audio with quizzes/certs ... that kinda thing.

Those sorts of things have direct relationship to hosting - managed or unmanaged service? ...  How much memory for server?  How much space?   How many cores?   Does provider offer backup services?  What control panel options does provider offer? etc., etc.  .... 'techie stuff'.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Tamie Pryor

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
' I am very new to this and appreciate all of the help I can get.'
Keep asking smile. For my personal stuff I use Digital Ocean, which gives you total control of your environment, but at the cost of needing to know a bit about running a server. The Moodle Partner I work for (Titus Learning) use AWS, which is an interesting whole world of its own.
In reply to Marcus Green

by James Steerpike -

Moodle hosting.

Cheap. Reliable under load. Requires no technical expertise.

Pick any two.

In reply to Tamie Pryor

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Tamie,

We use Moodle 3.6.1 on a shared server with TMDHosting. You probably are aware that you cannot annotate PDFs in the assignment module on a shared server. All other core features are available on their server. 

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by Tamie Pryor -

Thank you. I will check them out. I did not know that about the PDFs, thank you for letting me know.  I don't think that is an issue for me. 

In reply to Tamie Pryor

by Dave Emsley -
If you're UK based Krystal.co.uk are worth a look.

Cheers

Dave
In reply to Tamie Pryor

by James Steerpike -
I would try a Digital Ocean Droplet rather than shared hosting.  The droplet is a VPS with complete control at root level. Install what you want.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to James Steerpike

Odp: Re: Shared hosting for 3.6*

by W L -
also AWS and/or Azure.... GCP is the most expensive