Self enrolment vs Group enrolment keys

Self enrolment vs Group enrolment keys

by Jeremy Luedtke -
Number of replies: 7

Good morning good Moodlers!

I have a situation which has given me a bit of difficulty with self enrolment.
I need to have different self enrolment methods to give students the proper roles but I also need to have those roles go into groups with the same name (so that I can add in-course restrictions). The situation I have encountered is that, even with the best explained instructions for how to enrol, if someone with the 'Uditore' group enrolment key puts that key into the Online self enrolment space, s/he gets enrolled as an Online student in the Uditore group (and thus making my life more difficult).
I have tried making the enrolment keys the same between method and group but I still get this mixing of role/group. In the second image, I enrolled a test account using the Uditore group password in the Online role space...

We are running Moodle 3.5+ (Build: 20180628).

Any ideas or assistance would be gratefully appreciated!

-Jeremy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeremy Luedtke

Re: Self enrolment vs Group enrolment keys

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

From your description of what you are trying to do, it sounds like you are getting the desired result?  I am confused - what exactly do you want to happen when someone enrolls?  Do you want them in the group or not?  (Per your picture, student is in the group...).  As for enrollment/group keys, these should not be the same - that is just confusing.  The person should just put the group key in the enrollment page and they will be added to that group.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Jeremy Luedtke -

Sorry if I didn't explain myself very well.

Actually, I would like that the students to enrol in the Online enrolment method with the Online Group key or Residential with the Residential key. But it does happen that someone uses Residential key in the Online space. This is when my grey hairs multiply...

Having 'use group enrolment keys' flagged means that any group key will work in any enrolment method. Even if the online method/group keys are the same. That is how my test got in the Listener group but in the Online role.

What I am trying to avoid is that a group key can be used in any of the 3 enrolment methods and therefore mix my roles and groups.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Oh, now I get it - what if you separate your users into cohorts and then only make the enrollment method available to that cohort?  Is that possible?  Or do you not know ahead of time what users belong to which role..?

Tricky one - have you thought about just splitting the course out into three separate courses?

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

You don't need several self enrolment methods: just one.

Self Enrolment: enrolment key, yes to group enrolment keys (DO NOT give this key out)

Groups: create the group, make sure you have a unique key for each one. Give the key for the appropriate group to the appropriate people. 

Then, when it asks them to self enrol, they enter the group key. It enrols them and puts them in the right group at the same time.

In reply to Melanie Scott

by Jason Hollowell -
I just posted this cry for help elsewhere but, having stumbled onto this related thread, though I'd give it a try here too. smile

Some time back (a few years ago) I managed to setup our Moodle site such that students self-enrolled into a course, using a single enrollment key, and upon doing so they were added to a group that was auto created when they enrolled into the course. The end result was multiple groups (1 user per group) that did not exist until users enrolled in the course. I cannot, for the life of me, remember how I accomplished this task and it's driving me nuts...getting old and my brain is apparently fading.

I vaguely remember using a contributed plugin to accomplish this but...cannot remember what it was...and, for some reason, it no longer appears to be on our Moodle site. The kicker is that I am the admin of the site and I don't remember removing said tool. sad

Any advice anyone can provide will be sincerely appreciated. smile

Regards

Jason
In reply to Jason Hollowell

by Emma Richardson -
The autogroup plugin should be able to help you do this.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Jason Hollowell -
Emma,
Thanks, I had a nagging feeling that maybe I could use that plugin (or that maybe I had in the past but forgot) but something about the description made me question that feeling. smile I'll give it a try.
Thanks again for your support.