Migration/domain change

Migration/domain change

by Marjorie Celestino -
Number of replies: 1

Hello,

I need to change the domain extension of my moodle instance from mydomain.net to mydomain.com (both of those are in the same server). I do have a second moodle instalation in the .com domain, that was used to run some tests but it doesn't have any data that can't be lost. 

My question is: is there a way to make my moodle.net point to the .com domain or do I have to migrate the database to a new installation? And, if so do I proceed with the same migration steps (documented in the link bellow), as if I was changing servers, or am I getting that wrong?

https://docs.moodle.org/36/en/Moodle_migration

Note: .net and .com have different moodle versions, beeing them in that order 2.8.8 and 3.6.3. And I would like to maintain the newest version.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marjorie Celestino

Re: Migration/domain change

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You need to change $CFG->wwwroot to reflect the new Moodle URL. That's it. I'm assuming you know what you are doing with the DNS and web server changes. 

You should also run the Search_and_replace_tool to update any links in the Moodle data. 

What you can't do is have Moodle work with two different hostnames (.net and .com in your case). What you could do is simply redirect any .net to .com in your web server configuration).

Average of ratings: Useful (2)