Can students choose learning plans?

Can students choose learning plans?

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

In self organized corporate learning scenarios it may make sense that students can select their own learning plans from a list and add themself to the learning plan.

Has anybody an idea how this is possible?

Ralf

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

Re: Can students choose learning plans?

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

From a business stand point, these would normally be HR - soft skills courses.

• How to Manage Stress
  • Working with others
  • Time Management

In Moodle from the student's Learning Plan page, they can select the Add New Learning Plan button and then add competencies directly from the competency framework. not something I would allow corporate learners.....but maybe other businesses don't have issues with this.

For each competency, the student's would need to be able to either "request enrollment" or self-enroll.

In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Hi Shirley

let me describe the scenarios I've in my mind.

In lots of industries  we can see a discussion about agile corporate mindsets and structures.  The is has massive consequences for L&D.  Typical L&D programs will run decentral and lots will be adhoc training offers and self organized trainings.  

The general expection for an employee is that s/he start activities and organizes learning  acitivities by self.

If an employeee is interested in personal growth, getting new skills and competencies s/he should be able to identify  a learning plan and to enrole.

I expect that we will have much less open central programs, much more decentral initiatives that are started  just a few weeks after identifying the need, working out loud circles und individuals that start their own journey.

The role of an LMS will change in a  VUCA world.

Ralf

In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Simon Martin -

Hi Shirley,

I saw the mention "add new learning plan button" in your post. I am trying to get student to propose their own learning plan but even if I give permission to planviewowndraft and planmangedraft as Mary Cooch suggested, I can't find a way to make it works.

How did you make it works?

Thanks

Simon

In reply to Simon Martin

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I do not use that piece of functionality.

You would have to allow the students to select which competencies to add to their learning plans.

If the UI allowed for a better way to structure the competency framework and to inactivate competencies that were no longer valid, this would be a great way to build development plans for students.

The current UI design for the framework and the competency objects - makes this too challenging because it lacks the controls needed to allow for self creation of a Learning Plan.