Javascript/jQuery plugin and random generated questions?

Javascript/jQuery plugin and random generated questions?

by Carl Brewer -
Number of replies: 3

G'day,

I have found a really neat jQuery using set of aviation gauges that I want to be able to use to do some randomly generated quiz questions.  I had a bit of a poke around with google, but am not sure exactly how to get started.  The stuff I want to use is :

https://github.com/sebmatton/jQuery-Flight-Indicators - to start with, just statically, so something like pick a random airspeed, then display the gauge, and have answers generated around the airspeed (typical multiple choice or insert a number questions).

and I'm using Moodle 3.6.current.

Is there a howto for doing this sort of thing somewhere handy? I'm not much good with javascript and am not really sure of how it all fits together - I'm assuming I can't just pop scripts into a quiz question's HTML page?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Carl Brewer

Re: Javascript/jQuery plugin and random generated questions?

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Carl,

As a retired helicopter instructor pilot, I was excited to see this. I suspect you can achieve what you want by using Justin Hunt's Generico filter plugin. You could make a filter bundle for each individual instrument, as well as one that would give you the whole instrument panel. Once you create a filter bundle, then it does become just a matter of being able to "pop" it into a question.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Carl Brewer -

Hey Al, thanks for the reply, do you know of a really basic "beginners" guide to how to do this in Moodle?  I have no idea of how to start to make a bundle, for example.  I can code in C, Perl, Python (bourne shell, makefiles etc) ... but getting started in this, I don't know how to take the very first steps smile

In reply to Carl Brewer

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Carl,

Best suggestion, when you install Generico Filter, it comes with a bunch of filter bundles included. Select one of the templates to modify, then select one of the built ins. Look at it and see how it is built. There is a Genrico showcase forum, and other Generico forms, with lots of contributed bundles.  They can be installed by dropping the file on the "Bundle" button of a Generico template. Look at how they are "built" and see if you can get something to work. Ask for help in the other Generico forums and I am sure someone will jump in with more advice.

I would try to develop this myself, but I am deep into working on family taxes, and have 5 doctors appointments in three different towns to go to this week. With other stuff, I won't really be able to devote any time to this until probably June.  sad