Hiding a forum (and my solution)

Hiding a forum (and my solution)

by Christian Lee -
Number of replies: 3

Hi all, I've being trying to allow access ( for a particular group only) to a section where I have various activities and a forum. 

What I've learned:

I can't hide a forum no matter what option I apply 

My work around:

Using permissions to allow only the group I want to 'view' the forum discussion (view is hidden in a long list of, often confusing, options.

A clear forum title that explain access permissions.

If anyone has a solution to hide a forum, please let me know.

Chris

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Christian Lee

Re: Hiding a forum (and my solution)

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I hide forums by picking Edit, then clicking on the Show/Hide icon (see graphic.)  I am using the standard Boost them, Moodle 3.6.3.

Attachment hide_forum.jpg
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Christian Lee -

Rick, I've probably miss-worded my question. I've been trying to hide it from other groups and show for one group. There's also a way to hide it and create a link (but that creates an extra click)

Thanks for your prompt reply

Chris

In reply to Christian Lee

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Yes, hiding from other groups is controlled by editing the forum, and properly using the Group Mode setting.  For me, I hide forum post by using "Separate groups." (see Common modules settings graphic.)

If I wanted to hide the entire forum discussion from different groups, I would use the "Restrict Access" feature of the forum, and set this to hide for all except a specific group.

Moodle's "group" features are much more powerful than any other LMS, but there is still always an opportunity for improvement.

Attachment group_mode.jpg
Attachment group_restrict.jpg