Adding Ratings to Database Activity

Adding Ratings to Database Activity

by Kevin Ryan -
Number of replies: 4

I have consulted the Documentation and find that to set up ratings for database entries I need to:

• Set up ratings in the Database Module settings for that course instance.
  • Make sure the right people are given capabilities to do ratings (which roles), done in the Course Settings.
  • (Optional) create a scale for ratings sitewide in the gradebook settings (I may be confusing this with grades, not ratings).

In any case, I have tried to set up ratings for my new Database Activity and they simply do not show up, no matter which role I use (Manager, Teacher, and now Student because I have enabled that.)

Using Moodle 3.6 on a shared hosting site, with Theme Adapatable. 

Any pointers would be appreciated. I've tried previous messages here in the forum, but searching for Database gives me lots of spurious results. 

Would using Dataform work more easily?

Attachment ST1Tprep__ST1_Materials_and_Activities_Database.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kevin Ryan

Re: Adding Ratings to Database Activity

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

You can’t rate your own submissions, so are you testing with more than one role and more than one submission?

All of your steps look ok apart from the second one - from memory, you shouldn’t need to edit any roles to allow ratings - I think it’s on by default for students.

Did you apply the right scale to the database ratings section? Which rating method did you use?

I use ratings in the Database activity very successfully so I’m sure we can get to the bottom of this 😊

In reply to Kevin Ryan

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

To enable rating:

1. You must select an 'Aggregate type'

2. You must select a 'Scale'. If you don't have the one you want, you must create it either in course level or at the Site level.

The Moodle default Roles with permission to rate not include student, only Teacher (and above) can see the Rate button.

To enable a student to rate, you have to go to the permission page and change the 'Rate entries' to 'Allow':

As Jon said, "You can’t rate your own submissions".

Please let me know if you need more help on this.

In reply to Kevin Ryan

by David Campbell -

If my memory is correct you also have to have the approval settings set to approve all or manually appove the entires that you want to be rated. 

In reply to David Campbell

by William Lu -

If you set the Approval required = No, then you got nothing to worry.