Bulk deleting question categories in Question bank

Bulk deleting question categories in Question bank

by Dave Foord -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I am often wanting to delete multiple categories within the question bank of a moodle course. At the moment it appears I have to delete the categories one by one, which is very time consuming.

Is there a way to multiple select and delete multiple categories in one go, to make this process easier?

Or have it so that deleting a category also deletes any subcategories within it?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dave Foord

Re: Bulk deleting question categories in Question bank

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This has been requestsed for a long time (MDL-33058) but no-one implemented it yet.

In reply to Dave Foord

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Have you installed the Purge Categories plug in? It's been a time saver for me - I nest all categories I want to delete under 1 top catefory, then you just have to delete the top category. 

In reply to John Provasnik

by Matt Ladwig -

Hi John,

We use the Purge Categories tool in the same way. It is a great resource. I just wish this purge plugin had an option to quickly delete all categories and the unused questions within them at once. The nesting option is great, unless there are a couple dozen pages of categories. 

In reply to Matt Ladwig

by John Provasnik -

I downloaded Murga (an automation tool) to have it do that step for me smile just repeats me clicking the nest button, and I heave it repeat that action 100 times until all the sub categories are nested. Then I can delete that top level. smile

In reply to John Provasnik

by Matt Ladwig -
Hey John,

Using an automation tool is a great idea. What steps do you use to accomplish this with an automation tool? I was able to do it for one page at a time, then it gets stuck. A lot of our courses have 20+ pages of categories.

Thanks,
-Matt
In reply to Matt Ladwig

by John Provasnik -
Step 1 was to use some css to left align all the action icons so they were in the same location for all banks. Wasn't pretty but it was only temporary, then I would start at the bottom of the page and I would quickly click 5-10 of the 'indent' arrows to tuck in as many categories as I could before the page reloaded. With the automation tool, it could be set to click faster.