Adaptable theme & Site Announcements

Adaptable theme & Site Announcements

by Susan Fleming -
Number of replies: 5

Moodle 3.5.5 (Build: 20190311), Adaptable 1.8.0.1, 2019011701

Hello,

We installed Adaptable on our test server and have configured most things without problem, but cannot get the Announcements to display for users regardless of whether or not they are logged in.  

In Site Admin > Front Page Settings > Front Page AND Front Page When Logged In, Announcements have been selected from the drop-down menus

Permissions have also been set for the Announcements discussion forum to allow Front Page User AND Front Page Authenticated User, but we are still getting:

Subject (hidden)

Author (hidden)

This post cannot be viewed by you, probably because you have not posted in the discussion, the maximum editing time hasn't passed yet, the discussion has not started or the discussion has expired.

What are we missing?  I am guessing that something needs turned on someplace we have missed.

Thank you in advance for the help,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Susan Fleming

Re: Adaptable theme & Site Announcements

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi, 

Have you tested this problem by changing to the Clean theme, as I have a feeling it’s not an Adaptable theme issue, but rather one that you are making.

If I am right, I think it‘s because you have not set up the Frontpage settings to allow the Forum to be visible both before and after Login...or rather that you have not tested the Announcement by adding a Subject and Contents into the Frontpage Forum, which if I recall correctly was not easy to find. 

I had what sounds very much like the same problem, but I was not using Adaptable at that time.

Just a thought...

Mary

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi, 

Following on from my first comment earlier this evening, the problem is that Adaptable has its own Announcment area which is called Frontpage Ticker which you will find in the following place...

Site Administration > Themes > Adaptable > Frontpage Ticker

Now this IS very different than the Frontpage Announcement Settings that you set up but doesn’t work!

Here’s a link to my website...

https://visible-expression.co.uk/vle/?theme=adaptable

Hope this helps? Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Susan Fleming -

Hello Mary

Thank you for your prompt response.  We actually are switching from the Clean theme, so we know the Site Announcements were working prior to implementing the Adaptable theme.  We like the Frontpage Ticker, but it doesn't allow sufficient space for more detailed announcements, so we need to be able to redirect users to the extra details.  Being able to redirect to the Site News would be great, but if we can't get this to work, we do have other options. 

Your site appears to have both the Frontpage Ticker and Site News, and while you haven't yet added anything, it looks like it would be available to users and is what we are hoping to end up with, just can't figure out what button, tick, permission, etc. has been missed/accidentally turned on.

by Susan Fleming -

I just found my solution, and am kicking myself.  The Site News was hidden from students in the Forum > Common Module Settings.  I was just missing it - going to blame my oversight on too many interruptions big grin

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Fernando Acedo -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

When you say "Announcements", it is related with the Adaptable Ticker or the moodle site announcement?

In case of the Adaptable Ticker, did you read the information located in the top of the settings section and filled all the settings?