Removed student from a cohort, grades and assignments missing

Removed student from a cohort, grades and assignments missing

by Bradford Moore -
Number of replies: 2

Moodle 3.1.7 (Build: 20170710)

We had an issue where some students were deleted in Active Directory, thus removing them from Moodle. No problem, we restored their accounts and for 90% of them everything is like nothing ever happened. However, we have about a dozen students who were manually enrolled into their class via a cohort, and although they have been readded to the cohort, none of their grade items, assignments, feedbacks, etc are showing as we would have expected.

Usually when a user is removed an re-added to Moodle, it puts back into place all of their work and grades, but for these students in the cohort, that didn't happen and I can't figure out why. I went to a server backup and was able to recover the missing information manually, but that has been time intensive and will cause me to have the restored Moodle data up on a running VM at least for the next year (in case someone complains so that we can pull the original data)

Am I overlooking something obvious here about how cohorts affect student enrollments, or why these students' work was retrieved like it was for the other 90%?

thanks!!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bradford Moore

Re: Removed student from a cohort, grades and assignments missing

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Bradford,

Do you use manual enrollment of cohort members or cohort sync enrollment? There’s a setting hidden in the manual enrollment modal under advanced which enables the recovery of old grades upon re-enrollment.

Also, this setting can be enabled site wide through site admin > grades > general settings, under Recover grades default that can help you in the process. 

If the users haven’t been deleted from the server, this should help a lot. In the case you did delete the users, there’s not much one can do to restore such a user.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joost Elshoff

Re: Removed student from a cohort, grades and assignments missing

by Bradford Moore -

Thanks, we did find that hidden setting, after we had re-enrolled the students into the cohort. We tried to undo and redo it but got nothing, guessing that was 1  time thing. I will look for and enable the site wide setting though, that's great to know about.

thanks for your assistance.