Teacher editing course permissions

Teacher editing course permissions

by Brad Nielsen -
Number of replies: 4

Is there a good reason for teachers to be able to see and edit course permissions even if it's for roles lesser than their own? I'm tempted to turn it off. It just seems like something that would confuse teachers. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brad Nielsen

Re: Teacher editing course permissions

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Just one example: Teacher wants to make a particular student a moderator in one forum (which you can do my assigning the non-editing teacher role in the Forum).

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Brad Nielsen -

Thanks Tim. I've only just introduced Moodle to my school, and I'm trying to work out ways to make everything a little less complex. I'm not using the Boost Theme (which I'm having regrets about) instead using the Lambda Theme (and I wont be able to change it now for at least a year), so my Course Menu includes:

• Permissions
  • Backup
  • Restore
  • Import

all of which confuses completely new users. Is there a way to hide those options so that only the Managers at Category level can see them.

regards,

Brad

In reply to Brad Nielsen

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

"and I'm trying to work out ways to make everything a little less complex."

A worthy goal

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Brad Nielsen

by David Morrow -

Agreeing with decreasing complexity! Or perceived complexity, anyway.

That said, an example from K-12 - using the Lightbox gallery plugin. Normally, photos can only be added by a teacher. If the teacher gives two students teacher rights to one instance of that activity, they become the curators for that collection. So, instead of being careful to take a picture of every student doing something interesting on the field trip, the two students are given that responsibility.

But now that I read what I wrote - I’m not sure I’m addressing the original post. You can do what I describe with the “Assign roles” item in an activity’s edit menu.

David