Site admin 'dropdown' not expanding with moodle 3.5 and adaptable (and my plugin)

Site admin 'dropdown' not expanding with moodle 3.5 and adaptable (and my plugin)

by oliver stearn -
Number of replies: 4

Hi moodle experts,

I know this has reared its ugly head time and time again over the years. I actually had it with an earlier version of my plugin and it was due to me failing to adequately isolate jQuery and some conflict occuring. Someone please remind me why else it can happen. 

The plugin is a block which acts as a remote repository for a group of colleges to share content and exactly 1 college is having an issue, which I can replicate. The site administration expander breaks when the plugin is installed with certain themes only on Moodle 3.5 (works on 3.1, 2, 3 4 and 6).  

I do mean when the plugin is installed too, not when the block is added to a page. The block does not need to be added to the page, the plugin just needs to be installed for the site admin expander (and other 3rd level expanders) to fail to retrieve items all across the site.

Out of frustration today I started deleting files, bumping the version repeatedly, and removing all javascript from the plugin to try to identify where the issue is occuring. I was left with pretty much nothing but the shell of a block with no javascript, and only some text rendered in the block and the site admin expander was still failing to load. 

Someone who has battled this before, or has any suggestion, please share your wisdom.

Thanks!

Oliver

Average of ratings: -
In reply to oliver stearn

Re: Site admin 'dropdown' not expanding with moodle 3.5 and adaptable (and my plugin)

by Fernando Acedo -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Can you explain more detail about the issue?

Does the issue happens in Adaptable only? Did you try Clean?

What JS are you trying to load? Do you use the moodle standard rules to load it?

Did you verify the load using the Console in the Code Inspector?

In reply to Fernando Acedo

Re: Site admin 'dropdown' not expanding with moodle 3.5 and adaptable (and my plugin)

by oliver stearn -

Hi Fernando, 

Sorry for not being super clear, I was trying to be succinct and it was approaching 1am here when I posted that. 

- The issue presents itself in any theme with the site admin dropdown (essential, clean and adaptable)

-You can see the issue here: http://recordit.co/qALFYtjsR2

- The plugin at this stage has no javascript. trying to isolate the issue, I removed all javascript files and all references to those files. I also stripped pretty much everything out of the block plugin. It now simply displays a random string of text and does nothing else. Sicne doing this I have version bumped and repeatedly cleared the caches. 

The issue occurs with some instances of Moodle 3.5 and not with others, I'm trying to piece together a pattern now.  

The issue is also present whether the block is on that page or not, and only dissappears when the block is removed 

thanks for giving it some thought! 

Oliver

by oliver stearn -

I should add that debugging is set to max, and I have no error output through moodle or php. 

by Fernando Acedo -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Can you open the Console located in the Elements Inspector and paste here the errors?