Cohorts View hidden categories

Cohorts View hidden categories

by Matthew Landseadel -
Number of replies: 1

I need some help figuring out how to do...something.  Our nonprofit is using Moodle to provide public education on bleeding disorders. Users can register or continue as guests and self-enroll to courses. Works fine.  However, now we want to use the system to provide education courses to our staff and board members.  These courses we want to be restricted to only those groups. 

Here's what I want: Regular users do not see the "staff training" or "board training" categories.  I manually add the staff and board users to a couple of groups on the backend.  Then only those users have access to the appropriate categories and courses.

After much tinkering, I've got something that works, but it is EVIL.  I have created two cohorts (staff and board). On the courses, I've set the proper cohort to self-enroll to the course. Works well.  So, at the course level, I feel good.  But at the front screen, I want regular users to not even see the "staff training" or "board training" categories, so...I've hidden the categories.  Then I made two roles (staff and board) as clones from student.  Then I edited those roles to see hidden categories.  This makes it so users in those roles can see/access all categories and then inside the category, because they are in the cohort, they're already enrolled to the proper courses.

CONS:

1) staff and board  users can see each other's training category, as well any other in-development hidden category we have.

2) all 90 staff and board users have to be manually added to the proper cohorts...and then again to the proper roles.

3) though staff and board can see the hidden categories, they still show greyed out via styling.

Thoughts?  

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matthew Landseadel

Re: Cohorts View hidden categories

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

I'm not convinced you can do the styling so people can see what is and isn't available.

What you CAN do is restrict access to people on staff/board logins who need it.

Either you can use LDAP enrolments (https://docs.moodle.org/LDAP_enrolment ) if you have enough rights (or helpful IT people)

OR use a plugin called Auto Enrol:

https://moodle.org/plugins/enrol_autoenrol (basically, you set attributes in your user profiles then police access to pages based on these attributes - you can have multiple rules per page)

We've used the autoenrol plugin successfully before as we don't have access to change things in our AD/LDAP.

Anything to do with moodle Cohorts, someone else who has experience will have to chime in.