Third Party Gradebook

Third Party Gradebook

by Spencer Barnes-Israel -
Number of replies: 3
I am the Moodle Administrator for my local school corporation (K-12). We are currently using a third party grade book application called GradeMachine. The only reasons we haven't decided to fully switch from GradeMachine to Moodle is due to:
  1. GradeMachine has reporting features Moodle doesn't possess.
  2. Training our teachers on using the Moodle gradebook exclusively will be a hassle, not because of Moodle, but because of the Teachers lack of interest.
I have discussed my little problem with my immediate supervisor, who came to the same conclusion: We must create a module/script/application/etc. that will take the grades that Moodle outputs and parse them into a format readable by GradeMachine. As of this posting, I am looking for anyone who has run into this problem and can help. I figure, worse case scenario, I actually write a Python script that will take the data from Moodle and split it into chunks that GradeMachine will handle. I have looked at several modules, but so far they all seem to be handling the grade entry or display of the grades within Moodle. I need something that will export them into a customized report. Now that I think of it, I haven't really looked to see if anyone has created a reporting module for grades within Moodle. That may be the next step from here.

Thank you!
In reply to Spencer Barnes-Israel

Re: Third Party Gradebook

by Michael Penney -
Grademachine won't import a CSV file? It's a pretty standard format for data exchange.
In reply to Michael Penney

by Spencer Barnes-Israel -
GradeMachine handles data kinda funny. It uses what it calls "filters" to grab the data and automatically pull it in to generate the field names and the data. The student list within GradeMachine is edited from one screen while the actual assignments/quizzes/etc are handled from another. The reason for this (I think) is to allow the teacher greater customization for the reports. Moodle doesn't exactly handle splitting the class list and the assignment scores associated with each student very well. I am trying to create an AWK script that will parse this data for me. So far (since about 9:15 this morning) no luck.
In reply to Spencer Barnes-Israel

by R Ullrich -
I've created a mod for the grade/lib.php file that adds a "GradeMachine Download" button to the Moodle Gradebook page.  I made a import filter for grademachine and can import to MG.  The problem is that everytime there is an up-date I have to go back to moodle and recreate my mod.  It's getting really old.    I would love to be able to customize the export from moodle!!!!