[3.3] "Cannot create local file Pool file" for the "grid" view of courses in the LMS

[3.3] "Cannot create local file Pool file" for the "grid" view of courses in the LMS

by Matthew Willis -
Number of replies: 1

Hi!

One of our Moodle 3.3 LMSs recently encountered an issue with the "grid" view for courses. As you can see in the attached screenshot (affected course grid view.png), the grid only shows the first section (section=0), then displays the error for the remaining sections. The remaining sections are navigatable via URL manipulation (www.MoodlLMSURLHere.com/course/view.php?id=1234&section=5, for example), and they resolve valid pages, ruling out corruption on the sections. Changing the view settings within the course settings (unit, onetopic, etc.) displays the links to those sessions as they should for those settings.

I backed up this affected course and restored it to the same LMS, with some success. The grid view displayed the sections correctly for less than an hour before showing the same message. However, performing additional restores of the course within the same LMS instantly replicates this issue with the grid view.

The screenshot "Staging Site AS-IS Grid View.png" is a screenshot of the course i restored today to our Staging environment for the LMS (same infrastructure). This is how it should appear in the affected moodle site. The grid settings (/admin/settings.php?section=formatsettinggrid) are exactly the same between the affected LMS and the Staging environment LMS.

This occurs to each course within the affected LMS using the "Grid" format. What could cause this issue with the grid format? I've discussed this with the owner of the website and the server administrators, and they believe nothing has changed to the affected LMS this year. According to the customer that lodged this issue to me, it worked last week sometime.

Attachment affected course grid view.PNG
Attachment Staging Site AS-IS Grid View.PNG
Average of ratings: -