auto-delete user accounts after a period of inactivity

auto-delete user accounts after a period of inactivity

by Marc Delisle -
Number of replies: 7
Hi,

I already am using the auto-unsubscribe from a class after x days of inactivity. Is there a way to auto-delete student accounts after x days of inactivity?

Thanks.

Marc Delisle
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marc Delisle

Re: auto-delete user accounts after a period of inactivity

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Marc,

I think that deleting users at all can be a really problem to mantain the "integrity" of your Moodle instalation. There are a lot of info asociated with the student that you want/need to delete (forum posts, assignments, quizzes...pieces of work in general).

In Martin's words:

User accounts are never deleted, they just get marked deleted. The username field gets changed to something unique so that that username is freed up to be used again.

The reason we keep the user data is that other data (like forum posts) may still exist throughout in your installation that references that user. For example, it would be impossible to show the name of the person who made a forum post if the user record was missing.

Ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Marc Delisle -
Thanks Eloy,

I understand the reasons for keeping the user data, and I agree
to them. However, if there was a way to automatically "mark deleted" the accounts, some pages like "edit user accounts" and "assign teachers" would be less cluttered.

Marc Delisle
In reply to Marc Delisle

by Gustav W Delius -

Go to Administration --> Configuration --> Variables and then set the longtimenosee variable to whatever you desire. The instructions next to that setting say:

"If students haven't logged in for a very long time, then they are automatically unsubscribed from courses. This parameter specifies that time limit. "

However the way I understand it the students are not only unsubscribed from the courses but are also marked as deleted.

In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
No, they aren't deleted, but a similar setting called "deleteunusedaccounts" would be a good idea.  It wouldn't really delete them from the database but would still mark them as deleted.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Chris Ainsworth -
Hi Martin - I would not mark them as deleted - as this could be confusing  during an external Auditor of the LMS as we are starting to see in Austraia and will gradually spread globally. I needs to be a name that is identifiable - maybe Student Archive.

Auditors  seem to follow trails that  have the word "deleted" appear anywhere them and the instruction reading something like Student records transferred to Student Archive, or something of that nature.

Just food for thought

In reply to Chris Ainsworth

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Martin,

I note that some once-were-Moodler who are no longer members of the moodle.org moodle course. It may well be that they chose to opt out of the course but it also may be simply that they did not post for a while and their membership lapsed.

This may be especially true in the Japanese forum where we find that Japanese members are shy to post, but if they do not post they will be automatically removed from the course database.

Please may I suggest longtime no see setting be lengthened (perhaps indefinately?) for "Using Moodle", or perhaps just "Japanese." 

I guess that this will stress the server so, I can see why you would want to prune but at the same time it is a shame to see the registered user base seep away.

Tim

Timothy Takemoto
By the way, I am thinking of people like "Chris U" and John Bristor. They probably logged out themselves.

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Lev Abramov -

Talking of longtimenosee:

I cannot remember whether this has been entered as an item for the wishlist:

it would make a lot of sense to move the longtimenosee automatic unenroll from one site-wide setting to a table in the db with the option of making it course-specific.

Where does this stand, Martin? Any chance?

Lev