OneTopic: "Use topic summary as template" option

OneTopic: "Use topic summary as template" option

by Rich Lewis -
Number of replies: 2

Hello!  I'm wondering if someone could point me to some "how to" documentation or other help resources regarding the "Use topic summary as template" and "Show icon in resource links in summary" options that are available in the Course settings when OneTopic is selected as the format. I'm using Moodle 3.5.3 but I would think that the general function applies across versions. Also using the Altitude theme, but can certainly use Clean or Boost to test it out. Browser is most recent version of Firefox.

The idea sounds interesting, but I'm having trouble understanding the exact intent of the feature as well as how to properly configure the topic sections as described in the help topic available via the course settings (see image below). I know the first two sentences of the help is trying to explain the intent, but I am simply not grasping it. I've tried searching for information on this option, but haven't come up with anything (hope I haven't missed something obvious, and if so, my apologies in advance!). Any guidance (or an example of use!) would be appreciated...

Help topic for Use Topic Summary as template option

--Rich Lewis

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rich Lewis

Re: OneTopic: "Use topic summary as template" option

by David Herney -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Rich...

My English is not good, but I am going to try to explain the "template" functionality.

The template is useful when you want a different layout, not rows like moodle is by default.
The template is the HTML in the topic summary and you can insert the resources into the HTML with your name between double brackets, por example: News forum

Next an example:

Template

This example template use a three columns layout. Resources are inserted in the diferents columns and the completion "check" looks with the resource (this is not posible with the "activities auto link" filter). You can chose if the icon looks with the activity name: option Show icon in resource links in summary.

Template into course

In edition mode, the course looks like the next image.

Edition mode

I hope my explanation clarifies things a bit.

Saludos

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Herney

Re: OneTopic: "Use topic summary as template" option

by Rich Lewis -

Ah, perfect. Thank you so much David! That helps tremendously, and I now have a working example to experiment with. smile 

Your explanation is very appreciated!

--Rich