Fresh Installation of Moodle 3.6.2

Fresh Installation of Moodle 3.6.2

by James Adegboye -
Number of replies: 5

Good day,

I performed a fresh installation of Moodle 3.6.2 using softaculous on my hosting server and the installation seems to have gone well. However, when i open the website, it doesn't load correctly - sort of like the theme or the CSS isn't loading with the page. 

I am at a loss with what to do to proceed. Should i delete this installation and choose a lower version? is there something i am not doing right?

Please help.

Attachment moodle.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Adegboye

Re: Fresh Installation of Moodle 3.6.2

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Try purging the cache by going directly to the URL for that tool in your browser:

https://yoursite/admin/purgecaches.php

2 options ... think I'd try all.

Comment about Softaculous ... all moodles need updates and upgrades at some point in the future ... does your provider offer updates or upgrades to the Moodle via Softac.?   Other customers on your hosting provider might be able to share their experiences about updates/upgrades of Moodle.   Suggest locating the providers FAQ/Community forum area and check them out for anything Moodle.

Be forewarned that there are not many folks who haunt these community forums and who volunteer their time to attempt to assist ('free support'??!!) that have or use SoftTac.

Just sayin'! smile

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by James Adegboye -

Thanks Ken,

I did the purge cache as you advised but no changes. My hosting provider offers moodle update via softaculous. Infact, i was on 3.5.1 or so when the update for 3.6.2 came out on softaculous, which i did and encountered this issue. So i thought i must have done something wrong, i deleted and installed a fresh one but yet this is still happening.

i will go to the forums for my provider to ask but i hope someone on here can find a solution for me

Attachment purge.png

by Ken Task -

Seems the more one discusses, the more detail comes to light.

So you: tried to update via SoftTac.   Didn't work 100% - theme issue.   So now you've deleted the updated SoffTac install.   And installed a fresh  moodle.   How?   Via SoftTac?   And the issue hasn't gone away.

If that is correct so far, then the only conclusion one can make reading about what has happened so far is SoftTac installs of Moodle have issues.

Don't work for your provider ... who IMHO, is almost criminal ... telling you SoftTac upgrade will work by providing you a link/button to do it.   And when customer tries it ... oops ... snafu!   Did your provider help desk suggest you visit these forums for help?   Hmmmm ... provider doesn't support what they offer customers.   Like I said ..... darn near criminal!

Ok, so let's begin the guessing game ... you have cPanel.   Find the moodledata directory and manually remove all files/contents in the following folders:  cache and localcache.   That's moodledata directory ... not moodle code ... and its the *contents of* cache and localcache ... not the folders cache and localcache.

Then, try accessing your site via browser again.   It should be slower at first, moodle is attempting to update the contents of the cache and localcache folders as you click around, etc.

Now if that doesn't work, then this is the last thing I could suggest ...

edit your config.php file ... cPanel does have an editor ... that resides in the moodle code directory.  I cannot tell you where the moodle code directory is located but probably in public_html.

In the config.php file add the following line ** right after this line **: $CFG->admin     = 'admin';  on a NEW blank line.

$CFG->theme='clean';

Save the config.php file.

No need to restart anything, just use a browser and hit the site.

There is only one other option and that involves ssh access (cli) access to your server and running a command line only script to do the same thing ... purge_caches.php in moodlecode/admin/cli/

You did check out the environment when the site was a 3.5.1 to make sure your hosting environment could handle a 3.6.highest installation - minimum of mysql 5.6 and php 7.0.0 ... although if your provider is still running both of those versions they are providing you with software that is out of date and has reached end of life.

Ok ... that's all I can guess.  Best of luck!

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by James Adegboye -

Oh Ken,

You're a moodle genius.

I added the line in my config.php file and it worked.

Thank you soo very much!!

by Ken Task -

Welcome.   Genius???  Far from it ... but you are not out of the woods yet. :|  You have an a 'band aide' in place.

With that line for the theme in config.php that's the only theme you can use with the site.

Comment out the line you added for theme by putting // in front of that line.  Save the file.

Hit site with browser.   Still working?

So you didn't answer some questions ... on the re-install, did you use SoftTac again or used Moodle Docs instructions ( that you translated into cPanel-ese)?

If provider has a community forum, might want to post in that forum info on the 'band aide' provided here.

Other question ... did helpdesk of provider help?   If they just  pointed you to these forums without making any effort at all to assist, consider that provider might not be a good place to host a moodle.

Once installed, the journey has begun.   By that I mean ... moodle will need to be updated or upgraded in the near future.   May as well start to study up ...

https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Releases#Version_support (scroll down)

https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Releases#Moodle_3.6

https://docs.moodle.org/36/en/Upgrading

Along with that, do learn how to backup your site ... and study up on how to restore it where you host.

And do feel free to rate the posting that helped as 'Useful'.   That helps me 'earn my badges' and thus another way to say 'thanks'. smile

'spirit of sharing', Ken