Link to course description page?

Link to course description page?

by Tina Smith -
Number of replies: 7

I've been digging around and researching this for days and I can't for the life of me find an answer to this...

What I want is to be able to have a stand-alone page for each course to describe the course in detail...images and such. So far all I'm seeing are very limited options, and nothing that is on a separate url that can be linked to that is available for viewing without creating an account and logging in.

I would like my course thumbnails to link to a detailed description page that people can read long before they ever sign up....but everything that I have is short and necessary to log in to see.

I even tried looking for an add-on to make this possible, but so far I'm not finding anything that works the way I want.

Is this something that is possible? 

I am no coder. So I need something already in existence or that is really easy to walk me through step-by-step how to do it if there is coding involved. 

Any help is appreciated! smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tina Smith

Re: Link to course description page?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You could create Page resources on the site 'front page' and then manually link to them from the course descriptions. It ain't pretty but it would do what you want. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Tina Smith -

Thank you. I will look into this. So there is no other way?

In reply to Tina Smith

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

My approach is to keep my syllabi on my own web server.  I create these with Adobe Dreamweaver.  This, it is always simple for me to link to them from anywhere, such as MBA8150.  Yes, it is outside of Moodle.  Well, it works for me.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Tina Smith -

Hmmm, there's an idea...I suppose I could install Wordpress in a subdirectory and link to info pages there. 

Thanks for the idea! I'm surprised that Moodle doesn't have something set up to allow descriptions of courses to be visible publicly. 

In reply to Tina Smith

by Rick Jerz -

Tina, my guess is that there are hundreds of ways to do what you wish to do.  Yes, WordPress is another way, but I don't do it because WordPress is a "blog" product, and I just need a simple web page.  I just happen to use Dreamweaver, but one could use one of the hundreds of other web page creation software products.  You could even create your course description in MS Word, then "save as html."

I am not the expert about why Moodle does this or that.  But my answer to you is that Moodle is a Learning Management Software product, where things happen in "courses."  It's not a web page editing product, per se.  Sure, one could probably figure out how to make courses that contain one webpage (a Moodle page), and then allow guest access to these, but as you have discovered, this is a little cumbersome.  This is how I interpret Howard's idea.

What some might find odd about my courses, and my use of Moodle, I have never created a "page" in Moodle!  Really.  I just happen to prefer to use my own website and Dreamweaver to create and manage course content.  Well, to each his own.

I did give a MoodleMoot presentation about my approach: MoodleMoot2018 (Spain and Mountain), "Managing Course Content Using a “Personal Repository” if you happen to have more interest.  Wasn't it easy getting to my MBA8150 syllabus?  And didn't it look... okay?  And did you notice all of the other hyperlinks in this syllabus?  And if you go to my Moodle frontpage, you will see that you can get to all my course syllabi (click on the "i"s to the right of each course title).

Depending upon your server, yes, you could make your own folders for your own content.  I own and manage my own server, so this is what I do.  Yes, moodle is in a folder, and course content is in other folders.

Now, don't get me wrong.  I am not promoting that everyone should do as I do.  I am just saying that one should find a way that works best for them.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Tina Smith -
Makes sense. I am still trying to figure out the method that works best for me...and getting ideas from other's creative uses. I am most comfortable with Wordpress, so that's my default. I am thinking actually that I may (not sure yet) actually swap things... install Wordpress in the main directory and Moodle in the subdirectory. That way the links to the info pages will be cleaner (no subdirectory), and I can also use PrettyLinks to make cleaner Moodle links as well. (Its a neat URL shortening plugin for Wordpress, using the domain name address as the base...I love it! Use it for all kinds of messy addresses.)

I like the way you have things set up! It gives me some ideas! Thanks a lot! As always, you have given me things to think about!

In reply to Tina Smith

by Rick Jerz -

Tiny, I have seen discussions here on Moodle.org about integrating WordPress and Moodle.  I have ignored these because I don't use WordPress.  But I encourage you to continue exploring.

Here is another idea of how to set this up.  Others here on moodle.org might provide better ideas for you.

https://yourdomain/moodle

https://yourdomain/wordpress

https://yourdomain - this could be your overall homepage with links to Moodle and WordPress.

https://yourdomain/otherstuff - this is where you can create miscellaneous content web pages.