Reply in Forum Doesn't Show Up in Student View

Re: Reply in Forum Doesn't Show Up in Student View

by Etienne Landais -
Number of replies: 4
Just a quick note on this as I encountered the same (or a similar) problem. I'd guess this person almost certainly wasn't using the announcement or news forum in error as this problem does indeed occur as described with the standard Forum activity. It relates to group settings and problems when you change them after creating a Q&A forum with groups enabled. Perhaps someone will read this and acknowledge it as a bug or more likely explain how to fix it in a better fashion than I did.

If you create a Q&A forum object with Group mode set to Separate Groups but aren't using grouped users, the missing 'reply' link issue will occur as outlined in the Forum FAQ and here.

If you switch the group mode back to no groups for the course and you're not using grouped students, the 'reply' link will be missing still from the Q&A forum. The issue appears to be in the actual question in that forum. The question itself retains a setting for observing group mode that you can't change to no groups. As a result, student role users still can't see the 'reply' link.

It's easy to fix by creating a new forum question with the same content (i.e. a new prompt question) as it won't have that Group setting available to cause the problem. Of course, if a forum has a bunch of content that might be more difficult, but with new forums it's not an issue.

I might be missing something here, of course, but posted in case it's helpful to anyone else who just spent an hour scratching their head.
In reply to Etienne Landais

by Alexander Kurakin -
Confirm: I have the same. I think, it's a buggy behavior...
In reply to Etienne Landais

by Rodolfo Siles -
I had the same problem with a new course in moodle 3.9 and the forum was a Q&A with groups. Then I only posted one question for All participants and the reply link was missing for students but not for the teacher, which make you believe that is working fine. I had to change the forum settings to no groups.  Now the reply link shows up.

I noticed the link to track the bug mentions it has been closed, with a note that the option 'All participants' means all groups with participants. When you are not using groups, but the forum still is set up for groups, then the option All participants is misleading and should be changed to All groups.