Official Fordson 3.5 and Moodle 3.5 Support Thread

Official Fordson 3.5 and Moodle 3.5 Support Thread

by Chris Kenniburg -
Number of replies: 21
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Please use this topic if you have a specific issue with Fordson for Moodle 3.5.  

There is still a wealth of information on the original post if you want to review before asking a question here on Part 1:  https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=371544

Further, a quick search of the theme forum might reveal the answer to your question as we get duplicates.

Thank you and I will try to help where I can.

Chris

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Kenniburg

Re: Official Fordson 3.5 and Moodle 3.5 Support Thread

by Sara Cenni -

Hi Chris,
we are using the latest version of Fordson (branch moodle35) with Moodle 3.5.

We noticed that, even if we checked “Frontpage My Courses Sort Order by Last Access” my courses in the home page aren’t ordered correctly.
In fact, Moodle is still using the default “Sort my courses” order. 
Thanks

In reply to Sara Cenni

by Chris Kenniburg -

Hello Sara,

Are you using the Dashboard or Sitehomepage?  The setting you refer to is only affecting the Site Homepage.  

The Dashboard has it's own sorting rules which are set by the student or teacher to be more personalized. 

That could be the issue.

Chris  

by Sara Cenni -

Hi Chris,

thank you for you answer.

Yes I am using Sitehomepage.

I did some tests with a clean installation of Moodle.

It seems that changing “Course Tile Display ” (coursetilestyle) settings affects mycourses in the home page.

With “Tile style one” setting, courses are correctly ordered.

With “Default Moodle Course Display” setting, courses are shown in a different order (in this case course creation date).  

Bye

Sara

In reply to Sara Cenni

by Chris Kenniburg -

If you choose to use the default moodle display then it follows the default rules for Moodle. 

Last Access would only apply if using one of the Fordson Course Display options. 

by Sara Cenni -

Thank you Chris for your feedback.

I didn't understand that using the default moodle display could affect my courses list.

Thank you again!

Completion progress circles are gone

by Pawel Babel -

Hello Chris,

I am using "Moodle 3.5 Fordson v3.5 release 3 update 10" version and the completion/progress circles on the course tiles are suddenly gone.

I know this is not much info so far. Have you already had this kind of issue?

Many thanks for your answer.

Pawel

In reply to Pawel Babel

Re: Completion progress circles are gone

by Chris Kenniburg -

We are currently developing on 3.6 so my memory looking back is a bit foggy.  Did you update Moodle?  At one of the releases Moodle quit using Radials on the dashboard.  When they did this we also lost the templates and styling used in Fordson.    Check your dashboard and see if courses still use radials.  

Currently, the radials and completion in the student dashboard are missing because I didn't have the time to replace them with the new progress bar used by Boost.    You'll be happy to know that I am working on an update that will have the progress bar and the student dashboard will look like this screenshot.

Attachment student dashboard2.png

by Travis Mitchell -

I would like to create my own Preset file for use with our environment. Is there a template or a means of converting a generic Boost Preset file to be a Fordson Preset file? Every attempt I have done ends up losing the basic Moodle CSS and looks awful.

In reply to Travis Mitchell

by Chris Kenniburg -

Travis,

You can copy one of the presets within Fordson or use the default Boost preset and it should work.  What will cause issues is if the preset is improperly formatted or missing a closing tag.  Then things look very strange if they display at all.  Also of note is the ordering of variables.  If you create $mygreatcolor and use it before it is defined with a !default then you might see issues too.  

Also, after you define all your variables you must include these lines:

// Import FontAwesome.
@import "../../boost/scss/fontawesome";

// Import All of Bootstrap
@import "../../boost/scss/bootstrap";

// Import Core moodle CSS
@import "../../boost/scss/moodle";

That imports the needed stuff from Boost.

Hope that helps.  Feel free to message me if you have any issues.

Chris

by Travis Mitchell -

Thanks for getting back to me, Chris.

I believe the problem lies with the @import path. I initially had done it as just:

@import "fontawesome";
@import "bootstrap";
@import "moodle";
As you know, that resulted in none of the core Moodle CSS appearing to work.

When I replaced my three lines with yours:

// Import FontAwesome.
@import "../../boost/scss/fontawesome";

@import "../../boost/scss/bootstrap";

@import "../../boost/scss/moodle";
It didn't appear to correct the issue and I am still not seeing the core Moodle CSS in effect.

A little Google-Fu and I learned that starting the @import with a / will take it to the root of the project and look from there, but this didn't work either:

// Import FontAwesome.
@import "/theme/boost/scss/fontawesome";

@import "/theme/boost/scss/bootstrap";

@import "/theme/boost/scss/moodle";
Is this because the custom preset file I uploaded is stored within the moodledata directory and not the Moodle root directory? 

Attached is my custom preset file. Would you please take a peek and let me know if I'm missing something else? 

In reply to Travis Mitchell

by Chris Kenniburg -
I found a few things wrong but was able to get a working preset.  You can start with this and test everything moving forward.  make changes and then immediately clear cache and make sure the pages still load correctly.  That way you can identify when you screw up.  

by Francesca Q -

Hi Chris, we're using last version of Fordson with Moodle 3.5. and we set Frontpage My Courses Sort Order by Last Access.

In the Navigation drawer, as you can see, this setting is not working:

Huge thanks for your work!!!

In reply to Francesca Q

by Chris Kenniburg -

You have the Course Tiles setting set to Boost default.  If you do that then it follows the Boost default and will not work.  It switches to Moodle code and ignores what we do in Fordson.  All you need to do is choose a new Course Tile Display.  Try something like Tile Style 1 or 4.  

Also, make sure that "Frontpage My Courses Sort Order by Last Access" is turned on.

Just an FYI, we are designing and building Fordson to work with the Dashboard as the default homepage for users moving forward.  Moodle really built some amazing new blocks for the dashboard that provide exactly the type of structure and features we were looking for in spectacular fashion!

What we do is remove the ability for users to modify/customize their dashboard and then we can set it to only have the blocks we want them to have for consistency.

Attachment Moodle 3 6 DEV  Administration  Appearance  Themes  Fordson (6).png

by Maty Swart -

Good Day Chris,

I am using Fordson theme but have noticed that "user tours" is a feature that does not work in this theme. Are you planning to add support for it in the future?

Thanks

Mat

In reply to Maty Swart

Re:

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I have not noticed user tours not working in Fordson - which version of Moodle and Fordson are you using?
In reply to Emma Richardson

Re:

by Maty Swart -
Hi Emma,

I am using Moodle 3.5 Fordson v3.5 release 3 update 7
In reply to Maty Swart

Re:

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
And what exactly happens when you add a user tour? Have you tried it in another theme? Have you checked that you have the language pack installed that you are using - there is a strange issue with user tours that they will not load if you do not have your language pack installed...
In reply to Maty Swart

by Chris Kenniburg -
The user tours work.
There is nothing technically wrong with them. What might not work is downloaded tours that may not have the same CSS selectors. However, that is an easy fix with using chrome inspector. You could also have another plugin that may interfere with the tours. Hard to predict what plugins people install.

by Maty Swart -

Hi, I have resolved the issue. thanks

In reply to Maty Swart

by Emma Richardson -
You should tell us how in case anyone else needs this same answer!

by Fred Yankowski -
We recently upgraded to Moodle 3.5 from 3.3 and updated Fordson to correspond. Some theme_fordson settings that we were working on in a dev site for moodle 3.3 don't seem to appear in the 3.5 version. Can someone tell me where these are now, or where to look to find out?

bodycolor, linkcolor, headercolor, navbarbkg, and headerscreen