Proper names capitalisation in Moodle

Proper names capitalisation in Moodle

by Stamos Spiliotis -
Number of replies: 3

If I search for e.g. for "results block" I find "Add a new activity results block" & "The Activity results block only shows data stored in other locations."

The same happens for many other names (activities, blocks, etc).

I don't think both are correct.

Reading the entry for "Proper noun" in Wikipedia I have understood that proper nouns are distinguished from common nouns using a capitalised first letter. In the case of  single-word names, this is quite easy and most english people agree and more or less use the rule. For multiword proper names though, there are some doubts (only first letter of first word or first letters of all words).

The problem starts when people that give a name, use it for so long that they come to think it is now part of the language i.e. common. But for a newcomer these words look strange or jargon. To be fair we need to be objective and have in mind as many users as possible.

Power or long time users would have no problem either way.

Most users would sooner or later discover the rule if it is applied uniformly.

New users would very easily be instructed that names of things in Moodle have a first letter (or first letter of every word) capitalised. And that would help them a lot.

My point of view is that of a translator so I can assert that it would be a tremendous help in many doubious strings in every language.

p.s. I am not sure if I explained everything right. Sorry for any mistakes!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stamos Spiliotis

Απάντηση: Proper names capitalisation in Moodle

by Stamos Spiliotis -

I think Moodle used to capitalise all word first letters in the past but later changed the rule to almost no capitalisation at all.

In reply to Stamos Spiliotis

Re: Proper names capitalisation in Moodle

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Almost all text in Moodle should be Sentence case. This has been the rule for a very long time. No recent changes.

In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Proper names capitalisation in Moodle

by Stamos Spiliotis -
Thanks for your response!
I am happy to see that you use a capital "S" to refer to Sentence case.
it means "the first letter uppercase and subsequent letter lowercase with exceptions such as proper nouns or acronyms". I am referring to the exception of proper nouns.
If e.g. I create a new type of block and I name it "Exceptional New Grades" how should the following message refer to it?

Add a new "Exceptional New Grades" block.
Add a new Exceptional New Grades block.
Add a new Exceptional new grades block.
Add a new exceptional new grades block.

In other words, why is "The Activity results..." using a capital "A"? And why is "Add a new activity..." using a small "a"?
(from the forum's description)