Moodle 3.6 - Junk characters in the Username field during login

Moodle 3.6 - Junk characters in the Username field during login

Alan Ball - ން
Number of replies: 7

I was having problems with logins to our test environment when I upgraded from 3.5-3.6, so I did a fresh install via Git. It all went fine, but now I need to login again and what I'm seeing is a bunk of junk characters in the username input. It even appears as part of the field's value attribute. (see attached).

Anyone having this issue, or a solution?

Attachment Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 09.01.53.png
Attachment Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 09.02.26.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alan Ball

Re: Moodle 3.6 - Junk characters in the Username field during login

Helen Foster - ން
ފޮޓޯ ފޮޓޯ ފޮޓޯ ފޮޓޯ ފޮޓޯ ފޮޓޯ ފޮޓޯ

Hi Alan,

Apologies if it is obvious, but how about using a different browser to check whether it is caused by browser auto-completion?

In reply to Helen Foster

Alan Ball - ން

Hi Helen, thanks for the reply. It was amongst the first things I tried (just one of those routine troubleshooting steps!). I can't login with any account on any browser, really bizarre. 

In reply to Alan Ball

Howard Miller - ން
ފޮޓޯ ފޮޓޯ ފޮޓޯ ފޮޓޯ ފޮޓޯ

Do you mean that you can't log in even of you delete the characters?

In reply to Alan Ball

Wong On Chan - ން
I have the same problem with version 3.6.1.  It is a clean install.  The previous version installed was 3.4.3.  It has been working well until one day I found the 'assignment' activity module failed to function (something like this message returned: error in codes that can only be corrected by programmers).  I guessed the failure was due to some 3rd party plugins and I couldn't fix it.  Finally, I deleted the whole moodle program and install 3.6.1.  Although this time the problem found is just minor, but it's quite odd to users when they first open the login page.  I hope someone would help to fix this problem.  Thank you.
In reply to Wong On Chan

Alan Ball - ން

It appears it was the theme that was causing the problem; specifically on older version of a Boost based theme(one we were playing with as a parent theme rather than a child to get to grips with the ins and outs of the theme). Once I got rid of it and installed our child theme, no problems occurred. 

In reply to Alan Ball

Wong On Chan - ން

I have uninstalled Boost but the problem persists.  Would you describe in details what I could do to replace the current parent theme with a child theme?  I remembered before I  installed 3.6.1, I have changed the character encoding from UTF-8 to UTF8mb4.  Is this a possible reason for the junk characters?