Moodle 3.6 - Junk characters in the Username field during login

Moodle 3.6 - Junk characters in the Username field during login

by Alan Ball -
Number of replies: 7

I was having problems with logins to our test environment when I upgraded from 3.5-3.6, so I did a fresh install via Git. It all went fine, but now I need to login again and what I'm seeing is a bunk of junk characters in the username input. It even appears as part of the field's value attribute. (see attached).

Anyone having this issue, or a solution?

Attachment Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 09.01.53.png
Attachment Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 09.02.26.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alan Ball

Re: Moodle 3.6 - Junk characters in the Username field during login

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Alan,

Apologies if it is obvious, but how about using a different browser to check whether it is caused by browser auto-completion?

In reply to Helen Foster

by Alan Ball -

Hi Helen, thanks for the reply. It was amongst the first things I tried (just one of those routine troubleshooting steps!). I can't login with any account on any browser, really bizarre. 

In reply to Alan Ball

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Do you mean that you can't log in even of you delete the characters?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Wong On Chan -

No, users can still log in without problem but the junk characters just look odd to users.

Attachment login page.jpg
In reply to Alan Ball

by Wong On Chan -
I have the same problem with version 3.6.1.  It is a clean install.  The previous version installed was 3.4.3.  It has been working well until one day I found the 'assignment' activity module failed to function (something like this message returned: error in codes that can only be corrected by programmers).  I guessed the failure was due to some 3rd party plugins and I couldn't fix it.  Finally, I deleted the whole moodle program and install 3.6.1.  Although this time the problem found is just minor, but it's quite odd to users when they first open the login page.  I hope someone would help to fix this problem.  Thank you.
In reply to Wong On Chan

by Alan Ball -

It appears it was the theme that was causing the problem; specifically on older version of a Boost based theme(one we were playing with as a parent theme rather than a child to get to grips with the ins and outs of the theme). Once I got rid of it and installed our child theme, no problems occurred. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Alan Ball

by Wong On Chan -

I have uninstalled Boost but the problem persists.  Would you describe in details what I could do to replace the current parent theme with a child theme?  I remembered before I  installed 3.6.1, I have changed the character encoding from UTF-8 to UTF8mb4.  Is this a possible reason for the junk characters?