Requirement for Migrating My Moodle School

Requirement for Migrating My Moodle School

by Arnold Yu -
Number of replies: 12

Hi all:

I have built a simple online school using Moodle 3.5.2 and now want to migrate it to my personal domain where I signed up with Godaddy. I just have a handful of courses on my Moodle school. Now I wonder the minimum RAM and storage space I need with my Godaddy domain to host my Moodle school. 

Thanks much. 

Arnold

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Arnold Yu

Re: Requirement for Migrating My Moodle School

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Moving to Hardware and performance...

I have no idea. Have you ten students or ten thousand? How man GB (or TB) of materials do you have? And so on..

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Arnold Yu -

Thanks Howard for the reply. I just started so I expect to have a few hundred students in the next 12 months. In terms of materials, I am still developing courses now and will expect to have 20GB or so in the next 12 months. 

In reply to Arnold Yu

by Jerry Lau -

I would just keep it simple to start

Use a LAMP or LEMP stack

Separate the app and db on their own servers

16 GB ram for each is fine

use php-fpm  instead of mod_php

Use a SSD or similar for moodlefiles

Don't use Windows smile

Start with the basics first then you can add caching, etc.

good luck

In reply to Arnold Yu

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You also need to see if GoDaddy has the database requirements.  Are you on a hosting plan or a VPS?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Arnold Yu -

Thanks Emma. I am on a hosting plan with Godaddy now. I will need to ask them about database requirement. 

In reply to Arnold Yu

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I own and use a GoDaddy VPS for my Moodle and courses, so I can tell you that things can work.  However, both Howard's and Emma's questions are relevant for us to help you.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Arnold Yu -

Thanks Rick. It is indeed pacifying to know someone have actually done this already... But I am on hosting service now, NOT VPS. I donot know if you can see my reply to Howard and Emma but, I just started and would expect to have a few hundreds students in the next 12 months and probably 20-30GB materials. I donot know about the database requirement and I need to check with Godaddy. 

In reply to Arnold Yu

by Arnold Yu -

Hi Rick, I just upgraded to Business Hosting and try to install Moodle on my domain. 3.4.6 was the default version on Godaddy but it ran into database problem, kindly see the attached screenshot. Godaddy technical support helped to try higher version and lower version but all seem the same problem. Do you have any idea about this problem?

Attachment Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 12.16.32 PM.png
In reply to Arnold Yu

by Jerry Lau -

What version is your MYSQL and what version is your moodle?

In reply to Arnold Yu

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Arnold, no, a Business hosting plan still won't get you there (unless GoDaddy somehow agrees that you can switch to barracuda.)  Quite honestly, I am not sure what a Business Hosting plan is because I cannot see it on their website right now.

When I buy my VPSs, I wait to get one of GoDaddy's 30%-40% off offers.  Still much more expensive than a hosted server, but this is probably what you will need.  And you will need some knowledge about how to configure your VPS and Moodle products.  I am not a server guy, so there may be all kinds of ways to accomplish what you see.

Here's what I can tell you.  I run my own Moodle on a Godaddy Deluxe VPS.  I deliver around 15 university courses per year, to about 500-600 students per year.  My GoDaddy VPS runs like a charm... and has been as solid as a rock.  I paid around $27/month for a three-year server.

GoDaddy is a "server" company, not a Moodle company.  So they won't help you with Moodle questions.  The Moodle install is not hard if you are a server-type person, it's terrible if you are not. I have learned along the way, and now have very good success.  Yep, I need to make my video showing how I do this.

If you want to try yourself, buy a 1-month Value server.  The experimenting will be worth the one month cost.  Use your 30% off code when you do this.

GoDaddy is just one of many companies who sell VPSs.  Others here on Moodle.org have some experience with other companies.  I don't want you to think that I am promoting GoDaddy.  I also do not own any stock or any interest in GoDaddy, but I have been with them for around 15 years, gaining experience every year.

In reply to Arnold Yu

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Could you tell us why it _has_ to be GoDaddy when there are thousands, or perhaps tens of thousands, of web hosters? I don't want to be its customer. See "Go Daddy! (Where to?)" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=193106. If you search the forums here, you'll find a whole collection of painful discussions around GoDaddy.
sad

BTW, asking in other forums here https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=379667 is unlikely to bring new information, they are the same helpers!