Install Moodle on Godaddy

Install Moodle on Godaddy

by Arnold Yu -
Number of replies: 8

Hi all:

I am trying to install Moodle on the domain I just purchased with Godaddy. Godaddy recommends 3.4.6 which I tried but then it said I need to upgrade MySQL to Barracuda format. I looked into Moodle's support document which says only 3.5+ requires Barracuda disk format. So now I am stuck with the installation. See attached screenshot. Thanks. 

Attachment Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 12.16.32 PM.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Arnold Yu

Re: Install Moodle on Godaddy

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Somehow it seems to me that the Barracuda file format requirement has been around much longer.

Many of these hosted servers do not provide for the user switching the database to barracuda.  I think that you are out of luck.

The common solution is to get a VPS which gives you the ability to make these kinds of changes to the database.  But a VPS is a more expensive solution.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Ludovic ORNON -

It depends on the host - some shared hosting have a cPanel with a MySQL which is in fact mariadb. No problem with barracuda anymore but need to change in the config.php  the dbtype as mariadb. I wanted to run on PostgreSQL as it was the only recommended at the time but the version available was not uptodate and even out of maintenance.

Looking for the correct host is a long quest wink

Good hunt,

Ludovic

In reply to Ludovic ORNON

by Rick Jerz -

Maybe so.  You raise an interesting question, is Barracuda format needed if you are running MariaDB?  Maybe Howard or someone else knows.

Actually, I am running MariaDB 10.1.37 on my VPS, and in my my.cnf configuration file I still have this line "innodb_file_format=Barracuda" in it.  But sometimes invalid lines are ignored.

So have you had success installing Moodle 3.6 on your hosted server, yet?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Ludovic ORNON -

Hello Rick,

Yes, I have Moodle 3.6 on the shared host server. I included a screen shot of the environment.

According to MariaDB official site, barracuda format is the default on version 10.2 : https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/xtradbinnodb-file-format/

My only "problem" is the speed of the disk according to the benchmark plugin : https://moodle.org/plugins/report_benchmark

I have around 8 to 10 in this area - the others are well under the acceptable limit.

Difficult to ask for top performance on cheap hosting wink

Attachment Moodle 3.6 Env..png

by Rick Jerz -

Wow, this is interesting.  You look like you are in great shape.  Which hosted server do you have?  The screenshot below is how I see these hosted servers showing on the GoDaddy site.

Relative to your performance test, I doubt that you will ever get accurate results because you would never know what all of the other hosted accounts are doing.  I don't have the exact numbers, but my guess is that there could be 100 hosted server account on one physical machine. Re-run the tests from time to time.  

Well, now this might be the solution to running the latest Moodle on a hosted account.

Did you have to do anything special to get GoDaddy to give you the latest MariaDB database?

Attachment GoDaddy.png
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Ludovic ORNON -

Hello Rick,

Sorry if I was misleading. I do not use Godaddy. It's why my comment on the long guest to find the correct host.

I am using a french only hosting company.

by Rick Jerz -

Okay, thanks for the follow-up.  Even though you don't use GoDaddy, what you discovered could be helpful.  We might now know that when picking a hosting company to make sure to ask "Does it run MariaDB version 10.2?"

Out of curiosity, how much do people have to spend for a hosted server like the one you purchased?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Ludovic ORNON -

Rick,

Yes indeed, having uptodate version of MariaDB and php helps.

The service is around 10$ a month.