Should we record licence information with questions?

Should we record licence information with questions?

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You may have noticed that every time you upload a file to Moodle, you can say what the licence is. (See the screen-grab at https://docs.moodle.org/35/en/Upload_a_file_repository if you have never noticed this.)

There is a suggestion (MDL-64085) that we do the same for questions in the question bank. This would be a new field on the edit question form, and would default to 'All rights reserved', like for files. We would not do anything with this information. Just include it in any Moodle XML exports.

What do people think?

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Should we record licence information with questions?

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

If I were looking for a new question field I would like a metafield that students never saw but gave additional information for question creators/teachers, ie. explaining the purpose and thinking behind the question. I suspect this would be of more use to more people and could be co-opted to include license information if you wanted.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

An 'Author's comment' feature is a good idea, but something else.

Having licence as a separate field, in line with Moodle's standard system of handling licences like for files, makes it searchable, and so more useful.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Having slept on it I was about to post something very similar to what you said Tim. I can imagine that field being seacrhable in moodle.net and I have an interest in creating questions under free licences.

I was a bit focussed on my idea as it is something I have thought about putting into my own question types and I always prefer to go with the standard. Hmmm, perhaps if I do introduce that meta field in my question types it will provide feedback for the idea should it ever get towards core .

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Tim Hunt -

Perhaps you should code up a patch for core, and submit it to the tracker?

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marcus Green -

So much software, so little time.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Elizabeth Dalton -
I added this to the ticket... Generally this should probably be true of all content objects. They can be exported (using the Backup function) and imported elsewhere. Having a chain of ownership would help encourage sharing, as well as answering questions about content authorship/ownership in courses with multiple editors.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by George Schaathun -
Picture of Plugin developers
I agree it is a good idea, for kinds of content. There is probably a lot of additional work to be done before it can be put to effective use, but one has to start somewhere.
Author's comments was mentioned too. Risking going off-topic, I would like to add student's comments too. Of course, that's very different as the comments would be created when the question is used, for instance to report bugs. We implemented this in the CAPQuiz module, but it could as well be generalised.