Unable to install Moodle on Synology DS1618+

Unable to install Moodle on Synology DS1618+

by Steve Disick -
Number of replies: 8

Attempting to install Moodle 3.4.3-0132 on a brand new Synology DS 1618+

Everything is fresh installs - I have restarted, deleted and tried reinstalling multiple times.  

Utilizing Maria DB 10 which Moodle installer installs and I keep getting errors that won't allow for the full install.

Any help would be greatly appreciated- spent the better part of today trying to troubleshoot. 

long list of errors

initial error

list of errors

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Disick

Re: Unable to install Moodle on Synology DS1618+

by Steve Disick -

DSM Version: DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 1

PHP 7.0.30

MariaDB 10.3.7

I have tried several browsers - no difference

New install

I haven't been able to access the file system on the device directly.

In reply to Steve Disick

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Synology is not a supported platform for Moodle, neither from the developers nor from its community. But if you have a good understanding of Unix and/or DSM, it can be done. See https://moodle.org/mod/forum/search.php?id=5&search=synology.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm curious where all these people trying to install Moodle on Synology NAS boxes have suddenly come from?

In reply to Howard Miller

My feeling is that the consumer slowly getting informed about the price they pay for "free" data storage from the big players. The NAS is the obvious solution since the "cloud" is a standard feature now. Energy wise they are sensible too. Then discover all the web services built in to them. The rest of the story is self explanatory.
wink
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Steve Disick -

I didn't realize it wasn't supported on Synology.  They certainly have it easily accessible and I believe quite a few people actually have it up and running successfully.  I have had it installed on several servers in the past, but in this particular case, the NAS was going to be quite convenient especially for the low number of users who would be accessing the system.

In reply to Steve Disick

if I remember correctly there was even a one-click Moodle in the DSM web GUI which brought an outdated but working version those days. As with all these third party packages, they come and go.
sad

by Steve Disick -

Thank you - I will search through here as well, but still haven't found too much that is similar to my specific error.  I really thing there is some kind of simple permissions issue I am missing somewhere or a problem with the MariaDB.  Can't seem to figure it out though.

In reply to Steve Disick

As far as the specific errors go, it looks like you are trying to reinstall on top a broken install. Which you can't do in this case. (DSM is not Windows;)) For example, if there is old data in the database they will lead to errors in the second attempt. Drop the database, erase the full moodledata directory before you retry.