I can't progress through the installation screens

I can't progress through the installation screens

by Paul Winters -
Number of replies: 23

Hi I am trying to install Moodle 3.5.2

I have just installed Moodle on a WAMP server using Git and everything appeared to go fine. I have a Moodle installation in the www directory as expected. I put localhost/moodle into my browser and the installation page appeared correctly. On the first page I input my language and clicked next and that was fine. On the next page you input your paths information and I am sure that that data has been input correctly but when I click on the Next button I get an error:

'

This site can't be reached

The connection was reset.

Try:

Checking the connection

Checking the proxy and the firewall

Running Windows Network Diagnostics

ERR_CONNECTION_RESET

HIDE DETAILS

Check your internet connection

Check any cables and reboot any routers, modems, or other network devices you may be using.

Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings.

If it is already listed as a program allowed to access the network, try removing it from the list and adding it again.

If you use a proxy server…

Check your proxy settings or contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working. If you don't believe you should be using a proxy server: Go to the Chrome menu > Settings > Show advanced settings… > Change proxy settings… > LAN Settings and deselect "Use a proxy server for your LAN".

I have just installed Drupal 8 on the same WAMP server in 15 minutes without a hitch so I think the WAMP server is fine. Does anyone have any suggestions about what may be going wrong here? Has anyone encountered this issue before? Does anyone have any ideas about how to diagnose this problem as I am new to Moodle. I would be very grateful for any help. Many Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Winters

Re: I can't progress through the installation screens

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Ty creating config.php 'manually' by copying config-dist.php to config.php and editing the top section. If that doesn't work, go down to the debugging section (7/8?) in your new config.php and uncomment the debugging lines. It's very well commented. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Paul Winters -

Hi Howard thanks for your reply. 

With some tinkering that worked. 

I tried lots of ways to get past the error I wrote about in my original email but I tried your advice and created a config.php file from the config-dist.php file in the moodle directory. Then I populated it with the required data and then in my url address box just put in localhost/moodle/install.php and it was fine. localhost/moodle/install.php is where it had been getting the error before but I think it automatically bypassed those pages that I could not get past and went straight on to the installation screen and installed fine.

Thanks a lot it was a great help and I hope this answer helps anybody else with the same problem.

Best regards

In reply to Paul Winters

by Doris Godson -

hello can you please tell me where is the directory for the confic.php file. 

In reply to Doris Godson

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
config.php?

It's in the 'root' directory of the Moodle install. It's created by the install process or by you manually copying config-dist.php to config.php and then editing it for your local settings.

It's not there just after you unzip/clone the Moodle code.

by Naomi Quirke -

Thanks so much, Howard and Paul.

I had the same issue, and copying across the config manually worked to get past that issue. smile smile

For anyone else who is installing and has come this far, to ease the next few steps your php.ini file should be updated to enable:

extension=php_fileinfo.dll
extension=php_intl.dll
extension=php_soap.dll
intl.default_locale = en_utf8

And it is helpful at least for the start to have 

max_execution_time = 300

In reply to Naomi Quirke

by sisay ayalew -

I can't also progress through the installation screens
after the success screen, when i click continue...the connection was reset..please help me...my email: lesisay12@gmail.com
Looking forward your help!
Ps. I am installing moodle 3.5

In reply to sisay ayalew

by Hugo Ribeiro -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
So I'm also having this issue... Can't understand why.

I have already installed new server (laragon) same result... Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

In reply to Hugo Ribeiro

by Hugo Ribeiro -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

more info...

this is what I get on apache log:

[Wed Feb 20 09:32:21.167911 2019] [mpm_winnt:notice] [pid 11012:tid 528] AH00428: Parent: child process 10792 exited with status 3221225725 -- Restarting.

[Wed Feb 20 09:32:21.266616 2019] [mpm_winnt:notice] [pid 11012:tid 528] AH00455: Apache/2.4.35 (Win64) OpenSSL/1.1.0i PHP/7.2.11 configured -- resuming normal operations

[Wed Feb 20 09:32:21.267112 2019] [mpm_winnt:notice] [pid 11012:tid 528] AH00456: Apache Lounge VC15 Server built: Sep 19 2018 16:08:47

[Wed Feb 20 09:32:21.267112 2019] [core:notice] [pid 11012:tid 528] AH00094: Command line: 'C:\\laragon\\bin\\apache\\httpd-2.4.35-win64-VC15\\bin\\httpd -d C:/laragon/bin/apache/httpd-2.4.35-win64-VC15'

[Wed Feb 20 09:32:21.268600 2019] [mpm_winnt:notice] [pid 11012:tid 528] AH00418: Parent: Created child process 15576

[Wed Feb 20 09:32:21.680803 2019] [mpm_winnt:notice] [pid 15576:tid 576] AH00354: Child: Starting 64 worker threads.

In reply to Hugo Ribeiro

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Don't use Apache on Windows. IIS is built into Windows so it's probably best to use IIS on Windows. Apache doesn't behave well on Windows...

If you try install Apache and IIS is already enabled on that computer they will fight over port 80 and you'll have problems during the installation. If you must have both Apache and IIS running on that server then change one of them to listen on a different port. But it's not worth it! Uninstall Apache. If you must use Apache then drop Windows and install Unix on that computer instead.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Hugo Ribeiro -

Hi Luis,

Thank you for your answer. It doesn't make much sense for me however. I'm using wampserver and alikes for ever with minor issues. I''ve installed several Moodle versions using xammp or wamp in the past.

I was unable to install Moodle on my localhost - despite having other PHP mysql apps installed - and so had to rely on Moodle's own prepackaged windows bundle available here https://download.moodle.org/windows/.

Also, changing OS is not an option.

Cheers,

In reply to Hugo Ribeiro

by Naomi Quirke -
I found another answer to this problem here https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=387587#p1562603.
It was (in my system):
go to Apache2->Conf->httpd.conf
and add
<IfModule mpm_winnt_module>
ThreadStackSize 8888888
</IfModule>
Average of ratings: Useful (8)
In reply to Naomi Quirke

by Jakub Kleban -
Thanks! Now it works.
It helped me also with another problem which i had before in config.php: ($CFG->langstringcache = 0).Now it works too.
In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Luis Gar -

A ver Luis.

Desde cuando va mal apache en Windows?

In reply to Hugo Ribeiro

by mohammad alkhalil -

you should use lower php 7 version  (7.1*)

In reply to mohammad alkhalil

by Howard Miller -
I can't see anything in this discussion that would imply a problem with the PHP version.
In reply to Naomi Quirke

by Jorge Cruz -

Hi!

Your solution works fine in Windows 10 64 bits, Xampp 7.2.17, Moodle 3.6.3 and PHP 7.2.17 !!!

Thanks!

smile

In reply to Paul Winters

by Shrikant Jadhav -
go to Apache2->Conf->httpd.conf
and add ThreadStackSize 8888888
This will help you.
In reply to Shrikant Jadhav

by Howard Miller -
Not sure why you are bringing old threads back from the dead - especially when they were reported as solved.

by Hulela Barulaganye -
Because i asked, i am trying to install moodle for the first time.
In reply to Shrikant Jadhav

by Thomas Topham -

Hi, I am n00b with installing Moodle, and joined up to respond to this.

Not sure if the "zombie posts" is an important site norm here, but wanted to point out that the above advice was what solved my problem for me.  I guess apache was timing out / unhappy with the size of the Moodle install page response? 

Anyways, I tried to do the manual config.php as detailed above, but was too n00b to usefully interact with that file at this point. 

So thank you very much Shrikant for helping me move forward!