improvement suggestion: Add randomly generated auto-updating QR codes to self-record attendance

improvement suggestion: Add randomly generated auto-updating QR codes to self-record attendance

by Aleix Altimiras-Martin -
Number of replies: 6

Hello all,

First of all, thank you for developing and maintaining such a wonderful and practical tool - and plugin!

I think it will be easier to explain my issue and, then, suggest how I think it could be solved.

I am currently lecturing big classes (up to 120 students), so I do not want to spend time calling their names to manually fill the attendance record, I'd like it to be automatic. Currently, students self-record their attendance through their mobile phones with the password that I provide at the end of the class. However, I presume many students that missed the lecture get the password via whatsapp and register their attendance (even if I restrict the IPs for wireless access, they can be anywhere in the university and register their attendance). So, I would like to make it more difficult - ideally impossible - for them to cheat and self-register.

I thought that instead of using a simple password, a random QR code could be projected at the end of the lecture through the lecturers attendance activity. Students should scan the QR code (maybe through their attendance activity) to get the attendance. The QR code would be randomly changed every 2 or 3 seconds so that students do not have time to send it to others. If they miss the code, they just need to keep trying till they get the code in time.

This is just an idea - I am open to other sugestions!

Thank you very much,

Best,

Aleix

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Aleix Altimiras-Martin

Re: improvement suggestion: Add randomly generated auto-updating QR codes to self-record attendance

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Aleix, 

Yes - this is exactly what I was thinking would be the next logical improvement to the QR code support that was recently added to the attendance plugin. There is a bit of work involved to do this though - the code would need to be modified to store multiple passwords for each session (instead of just a single password as is currently stored) - each password hidden in the QR code would need an expiry time and the page would need to use ajax to update the qr code image (rather than a full refresh which would cause unnecessary load on your server.)

You have probably also seen the setting that prevents attendance from being taken on the same IP address - so students can't easily share their password with a friend and use the same device to record attendance for multiple users... but that doesn't stop students from just bringing multiple devices into the session.

This isn't something I'll have time to work on as a volunteer - but I'm always happy to receive pull requests from other developers (the initial QR code work was completed by Eoin Campbell) and if you think your organisation might be interested in funding my time to develop this improvement please feel free to get in touch privately.

In reply to Dan Marsden

Re: improvement suggestion: Add randomly generated auto-updating QR codes to self-record attendance

by Aleix Altimiras-Martin -

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your answer and sorry about my delay in answering.

I have been looking for someone who could do the development but I believe it will not be possible, so we'll have to wait for somebody who has the time and skills to do this....

Would you like me to open an improvement ticket in the tracker to keep a record of the idea?

Best,

Aleix

In reply to Dan Marsden

by P H -

I would suggest that student-specific QR codes, rather than a series of randomly-generated codes for the whole group, would be the way to go. If it is doable of course. smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to P H

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

How would you present an individual QR code to each student? - It would likely require some form of "device" set up in the class that displayed a QR code to each student - I'm not sure if the attendance module should be displaying a QR code to the student in this case - it would be better to have some form of camera device set up that reads an ID card, or even a QR code on the students device using the Moodle mobile app on their device.

but - anything is possible - just needs someone to do the work and submit a pull request, or someone with funding to come knocking on my door.. smile

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Nuh Hamid -
hi, do the setting whereby the student can mark/self record their attendance instead the lecturer/teacher. unfortunately , when i tried to log in as a student, there is no button or setting to indicate for them to record their own attendance. is there any setting that i missing of?