.m4v videos embedded from box.com don't work

.m4v videos embedded from box.com don't work

by Walter Byrd -
Number of replies: 13

I am using Moodle 3.5.2.

I think Moodle will play .m4v videos. When I upload the video file, it plays fine.

But, when I create a page, and choose "Insert Video File" (Atto HTML editor), and copy the link from box.com, I get the message: "No video with supported format and MIME type found."

The link from box.com looks like this:

https://app.box.com/s/6581hy9jrjxqkqnerv0ytxju9lvhj81a

Does Moodle need to see the .m4v extension? Maybe box.com changes m4v to some proprietary format?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Walter Byrd

Re: .m4v videos embedded from box.com don't work

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Walter,

Yes, Moodle will play .m4v videos.

However, the link you have  listed does not appear to be a direct link to a .m4v file. If you go to the link page, and right click and choose, Inspect Element, there appears to be a script that builds the filename.extension, along with other ID stuff, that lets the file play on their page, but not when you try to add it to a Moodle resource.

So, from what I see, it does appear they make the link into, "some proprietary format."

In reply to AL Rachels

by Walter Byrd -

The link from box.com is supposed to allow people to view, but not download the video. Maybe that is the reason for the script.

If I upload the video to moodle, it is easy to download.

Would you happen to know a way to host videos so they are not so easy to download?

In reply to Walter Byrd

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Walter, anyone with a PC or Mac can easily use a screen recorder to record anything displayed on their computer.

Your question is often asked.  But the answer is kind of like answering "How do you prevent someone from taking a picture of the Statue of Liberty?"

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Walter Byrd -

If you can see it, if you can hear it, you can record it.

I know about screen recorders. But that is more involved than just clicking a button.

I know I can never make videos entirely impossible to record. But can I make it so it's not dirt simple to download?

I have tried box.com, and drive.google.com, and I have tried making a hidden youtube account. But I keep getting the same results. Any share link that does not allow downloading, will not embed on the Moodle "Page" Activity.

In reply to Walter Byrd

by John Provasnik -

This sounds like a limitation of Box. Again, I’d recommend Wistia.com (or some other paid hosting service website) as it does exactly what youre attempting to do. 

In reply to John Provasnik

by Rick Jerz -

Hi John, Wistia.com is new to me.  Have you ever compared it to Vimeo?  Why do you like Wistia.com?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by John Provasnik -

Yes - Wistia, Vimeo, YouTube... all are similar in terms of hosting videos, giving view stats, etc. but each has their own use cases. What keeps me with Wistia is the deep-level analytics, when compared to the other two. It’s a service that is geared towards businesses/marketing but I find that they have video organizational features that are great for my school and more video customization options than the other two companies. They are also a smaller company so the customer service is excellent. Even if you don’t use them, I highly recommend checking out their blog - I find they have excellent content/resources that range from creating good videos on a low budget to making the most of viewership analytics. 

by Rick Jerz -

John, thanks for your feedback.  Right now, I have the benefit of having a great video server at my university, which is free for me to use.  But I have been curious about these other services.  In my teaching, I have a bunch of short 15-25 minute long videos, that I regularly update.  Having a fully qualified URL is important to me since I also podcast my videos, but this URL has to remain the same when I replace an old video with a new so that I don't have to keep changing the podcast's video URL.  Cost is also a factor since I would be paying on my own.  So right now, I am just exploring.  The free Wistia seems to say "3 video limit," quite small.  And I am confused because their $99/mo product (already costly) says 10 free videos, and then $3/year for each additional video.  This too, for me, could be expensive.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by John Provasnik -

Yes, their pricing model did change at the start of this year. 

We have 610GB of video (roughly 15,000 videos in our curriculum). The price got real high for us this year (even though they have an educational institution discount). We shopped around but decided at this time the value is worth the product. Vimeo I remember had much much lower charges for video storage but higher charges for bandwidth usage. They have great features too, but for us it's not worth it at this time to move the 15,000 videos and relink them in our Moodle lessons.... I'd love to get to the point where we have our own servers! One day...

In reply to Walter Byrd

by John Provasnik -

Hi - what you need is to embed an iframe of the video into the html editor - we use Wistia to house our videos. Wistiia provides a “shareable link” (like the link you posted above) and then they also provide an embed link. If box doesn’t offer such a thing then use an iframe generator website to obtain an iframe from you box link posted above. 

by Walter Byrd -

I am not sure how generating an iframe will solve the problem.

I can generate an iframe with youtube, google drive, or box.com; but that does not prevent the video from being easily downloaded.

I think the reason that embedding the video with box.com, or google drive, did not work is because I set the video to be viewable, but not downloadable.

In reply to Walter Byrd

by Walter Byrd -

I may have figured this out.

I have to create an iframe in box.com (do not use the shared link).

Then log out of box.com and refresh the Moodle page. So far this seems to work.