display language and language string customization

display language and language string customization

by Elton LaClare -
Number of replies: 1

Hello,

My university has recently purchased a custom Moodle app through a Moodle partner. 

We have noticed some differences between the official app and the custom app with regard to display language and language string customization. When using the official Moodle app, the display language respects the language setting of the user's phone, as you can see in the image below. The custom app, however, doesn't respect the device's language settings and simply displays in English (also see below). This is a big problem for us, as all of our users create accounts through the app with either OAuth or email based self-registration. The process of creating an account completely in a foreign language is a big challenge for our users (especially the reCAPTCHA) and many give up before the process is complete. 

I had hoped that we could solve the problem using language string customization, but this has not worked as expected. From my tests, language string customization appears to take effect only after the user has successfully logged in. (We weren't able to change any of the language strings on the Login page or the New account page of the app). 

Is there any solution to the problem I've raised here? Is there something our Moodle partner can do during the app building process to ensure that the correct language is displayed? 

Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated. 

moodle_app

custom_app

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Elton LaClare

Re: display language and language string customization

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Elton,

I think that this may be related to the original setup of a branded app (where you can choose if you want to include all the app supported languages or not).

Berta, from the BMA service, will contact you to solve this.

Regards, Juan