Configuring a Supervisor role

Configuring a Supervisor role

by Margaret Richard -
Number of replies: 4

Hi, I'm in a workplace where we want to give supervisors the ability to grade activities for their direct reports.

For example, all new engineers take the "Risk mitigation" course when they're hired. In this course, there are essays which need to be graded. Rather then grading by a Teacher, each engineer's supervisor should grade their essay (but not those of other supervisor's reports) and follow up individually.

So far, I have the Parent / Mentor role set up per https://docs.moodle.org/35/en/Parent_role and working such that the Parent (Supervisor) can see all their direct reports, and view their activities, but they can't grade.

Suggestions appreciated on getting the last piece to the puzzle!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Margaret Richard

Re: Configuring a Supervisor role

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Rebekah

As far as I know, the Assignment module's capability to grade (mod/assign:grade) is evaluated in the context of the module, not the participant. So all your supervisors will need it to be able to grade submitted essays. If essays are submitted via the Quiz module, the setup should be similar.

To make sure that a supervisor is able to assess only their engineers and noone else, you can try to use groups. The idea is, you would set up groups, each group having one supervisor and all her/his engineers. With separate group mode of the activity set, it should work that the supervisors can see only the members of their own group (because you would not give permission to access all groups).

In other words, for the purposes of assessments, your supervisors should have https://docs.moodle.org/en/Non-editing_teacher_role in the given activities.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Mudrák

by Margaret Richard -

Thanks very much for your reply, David! I was looking down the same path, and it seems Groups are only within Course context, so I'd need to set up "red team", "blue team", etc. manually within each course. Not afraid to admit I'm too lazy for that, but I agree it's the the only option presenting itself.

Thanks again!

In reply to Margaret Richard

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Yeah. I was just thinking that the plugin Cohort members to group could be used to help a bit with the groups management. You would have the "red team", "blue team" etc defined as site-wide cohorts. It still requires you to create the groups in each course manually. But since then, it would automatically look after the actual membership in these groups, based on the defined mappings from cohorts to local course groups.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I'd second this...though I don't know that you'd need a plug-in...I've been doing something like it for years without (but then, I'm used to doing stuff the hard way, so...).

Create the cohort, add all your users (including supervisors).  Create the groups in a csv spreadsheet (excel, column A row 1 called groupname.  That's it...list all your group names in column A under the header, save as csv). Import the csv to each course.  Cohort sync enroll to each course, adding to the group on cohort enrollment.  I would then make sure to give your supervisors the extra (Supervisor) role they need.  If someone changes teams, you change their cohort (put them in the new cohort first, then remove them from the old, you might check to remove them from the old groups, though).