Privacy

Privacy

by Jacqueline Owen -
Number of replies: 2

I am a teacher at Lancaster University. When I add a chat feature on Moodle it explains one of it's uses as "A student temporarily unable to attend in person chatting with their teacher to catch up with work" - this implies to me that I can have private one-on-one conversations with students via the chat feature. Is this true? And if so, how do I ensure that the conversation is private and that's its not a group chat with all ~200 students in the class?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jacqueline Owen

Re: Privacy

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

A few years before I retired from teaching computer applications in a computer lab, I had a deaf student in my class. To communicate with her, I used Moodle chat with the Group mode set for Visible groups, and then had a group in which she and I were the only users listed. To further help with keeping it private, I also had to set, Everyone can view past sessions, to No.

Chat setup this way also helped when I had students sick at home, but still wanting to keep up with their computer class assignments.

I also used the Dialogue plugin set for single person groups for asynchronous communication with students, especially if I need to send/receive work files, or if I wanted to send/receive audio/video comments.

In reply to AL Rachels

Re: Privacy

by Jacqueline Owen -

Hi,

Thanks very much for your reply! So it sounds fairly easy to set up a chat if you, the teacher, want to talk with a student, but what if it's the other way around? Do you know if that's possible? If a student wants to initiate a chat with you, (e.g. because they missed my tutorial and want to catch up), can they do that without everyone else seeing?

Thanks, Jacqui