Attendance authenticity

Attendance authenticity

by Teresa Fryer -
Number of replies: 8

We have a requirement of providing authenticity when capturing attendance on our moodle platform. Can anyone advise the best way to present this during an audit so that the auditor can see all attendance results as well as who captured the attendance and the date when they were captured?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Teresa Fryer

Re: Attendance authenticity

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Not in Moodle unless you want to place the Attendance or Attendance Register Plugin/s into your Moodle. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Teresa Fryer -

We are using the attendance register plugin.

We are busy moving from paper base to online marking and auditing. For a paper base scenario, the auditor will look at one portfolio per learner ie. everything from registration documents, attendance registers, assignments will be viewed in one place.

For our online audit, the auditor has to click in lots of different places to audit a full learner portfolio which is not ideal and this is the outcome I am trying to streamline.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Teresa Fryer

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

A very basic reporting need that I have not found a easy solution for yet - a Course Completion report by Student (attendee) that list every course the student was enrolled in and if they completed it, include the Completion Date.

In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Teresa Fryer -

Thank you. I will look into this report in more detail to see if it can provide what we need.

In reply to Teresa Fryer

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

The problem with this entire approach is that it cannot in any way validate a student's actual presence. We have had problems with online courses where students log in, do something else, just doing something that resets the idle clock every now and again, but do not do the work. In the end, if they attend a course just downloading the materials they need, then log out, who is to say they have not attended the course? Obviously, they have to present a report, a finding, an essay, a video, whatever the assignment demands that is of sufficient standard to prove their actual work ethic and understanding of the work required. We now accept this as demonstrable proof of "attendance". Who cares if they only spend a few minutes in the actual course, as long as they have a product that meets the requirements, why bother with attendance? Why is it even an issue? If the student is in a classroom, then surely the Teacher is monitoring the presence of the student? 

Sorry, that seems a bit strident, but I am finding more and more that in my own on-line studies I actually spend very little time in the Institute's Moodle, but I am getting reasonable grades and positive feedback. I'm not present and the few times I have been able to attend the Institute, I find few others do either.    

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Shirley Gregorczyk -

I believe in the original post - that the site was moving from paper based records of training to Moodle.

Paper based records indicates to me that a student - signed in and was physically present or an instructor took physical attendance.

The site is looking to capture all courses a student attended in one display or report to provide to the auditor.

This is a very common business request for sites that have FDA, OSHA, USDA, DOJ compliance requirements.

Core reporting in Moodle should include a basic Student course report with all completed courses within a date range.

In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Teresa Fryer -

Shirley, you've hit it exactly on the nail - it's the compliance requirements that we are bound by and we don't see them changing in the near future!

In reply to Teresa Fryer

by Shirley Gregorczyk -

The Grades view an additional column with Completion Date (date the grade was achieved) would satisfy this very basic, business reporting requirement.

It could even be a global configuration option for the Grades view, turn on Completion Dates, or turn off Completions Dates.