Learners unable to see/hear audio feedback in lesson

Learners unable to see/hear audio feedback in lesson

by Sarah Holmes -
Number of replies: 9

I use a Moodle cloud site to teach English to adults. I have just verbally graded their first piece of work, providing each learners with a personalised audio clip feedback in the lesson activity (essay question). The learners have received the email telling them I've graded it but when they go to the site they can't see any feedback at all. I have tried logging in as a number of the users and I can't see any feedback either or any way of getting to the feedback when logged in as a learner. Can someone advise as to what I need to do to make the feedback visible/accessible to my learners please.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sarah Holmes

Re: Learners unable to see/hear audio feedback in lesson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Sarah. I'm going to move your question to the dedicated Lesson forum where hopefully some lesson experts might be able to offer advice. I have a couple of theories, not much help though I am afraid.

When I tried this and accessed my email as a student, I did see the code for a video I had added to the lesson feedback but it didn't display in the email - I don't know if that is because of the email settings or because you needed to be logged into Moodle. I did however see the text the teacher had also added, so if you give text feedback, your students should be able to read the text feedback in their email. IF your students see the code of the audio feedback they can try copying and pasting it into a new browser window, making sure they are logged into Moodle. Worth a try..

I then tried to access the lesson feedback from the Moodle course as a student, and couldn't, although I did see the grade from the Grades link. I didnt' see any feedback comments there though. You won't see media files in the gradebook (from the grades link) until the next version of Moodle i out, probably early December for MoodleCloud people, because work has been ongoing to allow the gradebook to display files. It's possible ( but I am only speculating; I am not a technical person) that students might be able to see the lesson feedback files then.

Unfortunately, the lesson activity (which I love) only has a few people giving it TLC, and you might have hit upon an area where it needs it. I can advise you however that if you start using assignments for essays instead of the lesson activity (and assignments are better suited to this anyway) you will, from December be able to add audio feeeback and your students will be able to access it.

In reply to Sarah Holmes

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Sarah,

Unfortunately I don't think there is currently any way for the student to view your feedback to essay questions.

I think this is a major flaw of the lesson activity module.

Many years ago Joseph Rezeau made a wonderfull block to display essay feedback to students. Unfortunately it hasn't been upgraded for nearly 5 years and I don't think it would work with recent Moodle versions (note that I may be wrong as I haven't done any try to install it recently).

So I hope Mary is right and the recent work on the gradebook's feedback will permit to view audio feedback in the next Moodle version.

In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

I just give it a try and I am happy to report I was wrong: Joseph's lesson essay feedback block seems to work quite nicely with Moodle 3.5

Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks for testing and for giving us the informationsmile

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Well in fact I said that the essay feedback block works with Moodle recent version but that is not quite true.

It wasn't upgraded to correctly display teacher's comment including links, images, audio messages after I fixed the MDL-43387 tracker issue, which is quite understandable as I did that fix in 2015, after the latest version of the block was released.

I will do a fix and submit it to Joseph so that he can release a new version.

In the meantime I will attach a zip file here in the forum so that interested people can try it.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks for your help, Jean-Michel.

I have merged your Pull Request and am testing the lesson_essay_feedback block on my local Moodle 35 at the moment. Will report here when I get it to work OK.

Joseph

EDIT.- I'm pleased to report that thanks to Jean-Michel's efforts the lesson_essay_feedback block works perfectly, including pics & audio. I am attaching a screenshot of what it looks like on the student's side. I will shortly make this new version available in the plugins repository.

Attachment 2018-10-06_15-42-50.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

The new version of my block, including pictures and audio teacher comments is now available from the Moodle plugins directory at https://moodle.org/plugins/block_lesson_essay_feedback

Version 2018102801 should work for all of the following Moodle versions: Moodle 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5.

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Sarah Holmes -

Hi Joseph,

Unfortunately, as I use a Moodle Cloud site I am unable to install plugins so will have to wait unti lMoodle HQ include your plugin in an MC update.

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

The block is a work around but not a solution of the problem.
More and more students are using the mobile app. They have no access to the block in the app and its not under the teachers control that they have access to the feedback. 

There is one more similar issue with audio and video recording in atto editor in essay questions from students that are not stored.

@Mary: can you open a tracker issue about this problem that in some cases audo and video recording via RTC are not complete implemented for some plugins.