add a new note

add a new note

by Abu Ali -
Number of replies: 5

dear friends ,

i want to send a private messages to my student by using the add a new note. i am using this option to send the message but where it will display to the student. i am login as a student and tried to access the message but i am not able to find the message.

please help me how to activate this option? have you any suggestion to send a private message to a particular student?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Abu Ali

Re: add a new note

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You could always use old-fashioned email wink

In reply to Howard Miller

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Howard, I agree.  I never email all students through Moodle's email system.  I always use the good old-fashioned email approach (in my case, Mac mail.)  I find regular email works great.  

One thing that I do, and tell students that I do, is to always start the subject link with the course number, such as MSCI3000.  My Moodle also uses this course number, so when Moodle sends out forum posts, they too always have the subject start with the course number. I use this subject line to filter all my course emails into one "Courses" inbox.

Maybe I use continue to use good-old email because this is what I have been doing since around 1986.  On my Mac mail, I still have archives of my educational emails (old Outboxes) back to 1994!

In reply to Abu Ali

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

The Notes feature, if I have understood you correctly, is not for sending notes to students but is for teachers either privately to make notes on students for themselves or to share with other teachers. You could use the Messaging feature if it is enabled on your site.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Abu Ali -

Thanks Mary,

In reply to Abu Ali

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Abu,

The documentation for notes: https://docs.moodle.org/35/en/Notes tells you that if you want students to be able to View and Manage notes, the permissions for students has to be set.

BUT, then on how you set things up, you then make it possible for students to see stuff about other students AND they can edit and delete another users notes.

As mentioned by others, use the built in Message system, email, or maybe install the Dialogue plugin.