Registering

Registering

by BG g -
Number of replies: 10

The hub cannot access your site at http://localhost:8888/moodle35. The URL of your Moodle instance could not be reached by our servers, please ensure your server is running on port 80 for http, or 443 for https. If you are unable to register your site please email support@moodle.org

I get this message when I try to register. How can I access https 443

By the way do I have to register to enroll my students in my course? I don't want to use Moodle Cloud because it lacks the plugin ability that I need. 

Any help is appreciated.

BG

Average of ratings: -
In reply to BG g

Re: Registering

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

b g, others might be able to provide you with more technical guidance.

Your copy of Moodle is running on your local (localhost) computer.  It is not on the Internet.  I think this is why you cannot "register" it.

No, you do not need to register your Moodle in order to use it.  But you might have difficulties having your Moodle accessible by students.  I think (as I recall) Moodle can serve a classroom like yours provided that all the students are on the same router.  But I am not sure if this is still true.  Other Moodle.org users, such as Howard or Ken, might be able to clarify this.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Every computer on the internet using TCP/IP (those 'numbers' - ip addresses) have 'localhost' ... which is IP 127.0.0.1 in vr 4.   It's also known as the 'loopback ip'.   Goes no where outside the computer.

Your MAMP server is not accessible by other workstations browsers on any network using any router.  That is why one cannot register a MAMP setup ... no way Moodle HQ can contact 127.0.0.1/localhost.  It's also the reason one cannot setup https:// with MAMP ... valid certificate from a Certificate of Authority needs to be able to communicate with the server and CA's can't.

MAMP cannot be used (without hacking config) to serve Moodle to a classroom/lab.

MAMP was always designed to be localhost and for the purposes of development ... not serving.

A poor analogy ... on a land line phone - try dialing the number of the phone you are on.  Can't.  On cell phone you might get access to your messages ... but no phone will ring.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by BG g -

Thanks Ken.

But please help me understand how:

• I can enroll my students in my course if I can't register 
  • I can load MOODLE into our computer lab 

BG

In reply to BG g

by Ken Task -

One can enroll students in a networked/TCP/IP addressable Moodle without Registering ... but that's NOT MAMP.  MAMP is localhost only.

In the online TCP/IP world, networking comes before application (application being Moodle).

So one easy test and question to answer ...

Go to any workstation in any of your Labs.   Start Safari, FireFox, Chrome or whatever browser that workstation uses.   Can that workstation go to Google? https://www.google.com/

If it can, you have the workstations on an internal TCP/IP network.

If it cannot, you don't have the workstations on an internal TCP/IP network and thus cannot serve Moodle to them.

Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by BG g -

OK

Last Question,

Are you saying that each work station in our computer lab must have internet access? 

I thought we could put Moodle on the server and then network it to the individual stations without Internet access.

Thanks

In reply to BG g

by Ken Task -

Each workstation must be networked to a TCP/IP (private IP) network to serve Moodle from one internal server.  Workstations do not have to reach the internet.

Ok, then another test ... involves checking configuration of networking ... will give example for a Mac:

Open Terminal

As admin level user type: ifconfig [ENTER]

A bunch of stuff will display ... what you are looking for is *something* like this:

en0: .... blah, blah, blah ...
    inet6 2605:6000:63c3:9:8c:1fb8:f161:eb47 prefixlen 64 autoconf secured
    inet 192.168.0.5 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255

See the last line?   The IP address of the  Mac used connected wirelessly to a home network has been issued a private network IP address (the 192.168.0.5) and it can access ANY IP addressed server in the range of

192.168.0.X to 192.168.0.254

Moodle is NOT like the old methods of workstation access to server applications ... the old 'client/server' model.

Moodle requires a TCP/IP network for you to provide the same content to all computers in all your labs.

Don't think you want to install MAMP on every computer in 5 labs, do you?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Re: Moodle in English: Re: Registering

by BG g -
Ken,

This is great. I'll get started in the morning. I'll let you know how it

works out.

Awesome feedback!

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 9:34 AM Ken Task (via Moodle.org) <
In reply to BG g

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Ken Task -

There are several Raspberry Pi models ... X number of which come with means of networking them.

But, still, the problem exist if all of his lab computers are not on a private TCP/IP network.

Again ... networking comes before application ... no TCP/iP network - no Moodle.

Through the years, I have learned to ask about networks first before responding to some postings where OP appears not to understand/know about, etc. networking and the fact that Moodle best run on a TCP/IP network of some sort ... especially for 5 computer labs in different locations of the entity.  I used to admin Educational computer labs - one at a college/Uni and several at the ESC where I worked. - PC's as well as Mac's in a previous life - even prior to TCP/IP networks.

'spirit of sharing', Ken