Roles - I am lost in the process

Roles - I am lost in the process

by Marinda Fourie -
Number of replies: 4

Hi there, I am a bit lost as to what is the correct procedures and roles to assign to accomplish the following: 

1. I would like to load courses to the site that is hidden from everyone, but only visible to a particular role, in order for that individual to view the course and give final approval (before the course is going live). Should this person be assigned a 'role' in every course that I want them to review? Or can I create a category for 'Courses to be approved" and give that person a specific role in the category? What should that role be? And where do I do this?  Will this individual be able to see the course if I make it 'hidden" in course settings? 

2. Also, I would like to create a block on the home page for "Courses to be approved" but I only want the individual who needs to approve the courses to view this block. How do I go about to achieve this? Currently, if I click on the block>Edit> Assign Roles. The current 'roles' that are available is "teacher, Non-editing teacher, student". Which should it be? And how do I assign this role to the individual? 

I am using Moodle 3.5

Thank you very much for your help. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marinda Fourie

Re: Roles - I am lost in the process

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I can't think how you can do this. Not because of anything to do with roles especially, more because Moodle doesn't have a course approval workflow. 

Having said that, a site-wide Manager role can effectively hid/approve a course from everybody by not enrolling any users onto the course until it is approved. 

On your second point, again I am not aware of any plugin that does this. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Marinda Fourie -

Thank you Howard, 

If I create a user with 'Manager" role, and hide the course. The Manager should still be able to see it in 'Listed Courses"? Am I correct? 

What I am then considering is to create a button in my menu bar for "Courses to be Approved" with the "Hidden" Courses listed there. The courses that need to be approved will be hidden from students. And the 'manager' can then access it from there. 

Do you think this should work? 

In reply to Marinda Fourie

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It depends how you think of 'hide'. You can't make courses invisible in Moodle. Users will still see them - they just can't get into them if they're not enrolled.

In reply to Howard Miller

by Marinda Fourie -

Hi Howard, 

Just to let you know, I think I found a solution. I created a Course Category "Courses to be Approved" and hid it. Then I created a user with 'Manager' role. 

I then activated the "Course Category" list on the home page. 

So now, students who are logged into the site, can't see the hidden Course Category, but the Manager can.

Thank you for your help. 

smile

Average of ratings: Useful (2)