Online and Offline moodle server synchronization.

Online and Offline moodle server synchronization.

by Mark Angel Arcega -
Number of replies: 2

I would like to ask if there is a way to synchronize offline moodle server to online moodle server and vise versa. The case is, there's a school that has no internet connection so they decided to host their LMS/moodle in their campus. Also, we have our online moodle. 

The school wants to use their offline LMS in their school and after the school period (as the students/teacher went home) they want to access their LMS online where the assignments and activities they have in their school was already synchronized in the online moodle server.

Is there a way to do that? I was thinking of creating a third party app to synch the data of both online and offline. Its just, maybe there's another way. I hope you can help me.

Thanks in advanced!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Angel Arcega

Re: Online and Offline moodle server synchronization.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Mark

You wrote:
> The school wants to use their offline LMS in their school

The off-line LMS I can follow. The rest you need to explain this more carefully.

> and after the school period (as the students/teacher went home) they want to access their LMS online

Here "they" here means the administrators of the school, right?

And they have Internet access, all the time?

And the second LMS, the on-line LMS, is somewhere in the Internet.

> where the assignments and activities they have in their school was already synchronized in the online moodle server.

So they assume, by the time they access the on-line LMS, it was synchronized with the off-line LMS. How, if the off-line LMS is off-line?

I don't know, perhaps you mean that the school connects its LAN temporarily to Internet via a dial-up connection and during that time the off-line LMS pushes its data to the on-line LMS?

The background is that Moodle architecture does now foresee two Moodles melting in to one. But if you mean, one is the snap-shot of the other, taken when the other is inactive, that can be done. See https://docs.moodle.org/en/Moodle_migration. Taking the snap-shot can be seen as a Moodle to Moodle migration. If that is, what you are looking for.

There were many discussions of more sophisticated approaches. Examples "How to replicate in moodle?" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=373346, "Moodle Installation in Rural Area" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=353602. You need to search the forums here for more.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: Online and Offline moodle server synchronization.

by Mark Angel Arcega -

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll clear things up. The "they" means the administrators of the school.

And yes, they will connect to the internet temporarily just to push the data online.

I'll check the links that you mentioned. 

Thank you so much!