Group invisible to group members?

Group invisible to group members?

by Jason Hogan -
Number of replies: 4

This might not be the right section, but I was wondering if it's possible to create a group where students cannot see their group members (e.g. through the participant list in a visible or separate group mode). 

I would like to be able to set up accommodations to use group overrides, but don't want have the chance that students with accommodations get exposed through students being able to view membership in that group. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason Hogan

Re: Group invisible to group members?

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hmm. I don't think there is an easy way to hide the information reliably. I don't know how exactly you plan to use groups. But maybe you could use cohorts instead. As far as I know, users have no way to realize in what cohorts they are and who else is there.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Jason Hogan -

I want to use groups for a group override on quizzes, AFAIK overrides do not work at the cohort level. But doing it at a group level will let students see who has an accommodation. 

In reply to Jason Hogan

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Jason, 

I'm using Moodle 3.4 - Students can see what groups they are assigned to by looking at their own class-level profile and the class-level profiles of others -- you can turn this feature off (preventing people from seeing their own groups as well as the groups of others on the profile page) by navigating to Site Admin - Users - Permissions - User Policies, then select "Groups" from the "Hide User Fields" box. This way, students will not see what groups they are assigned to from their profile. 

As for the Participants list in the Navigation block, you may not want to go to this extreme, but you can make that clickable Participants link a non-clickable link (so, preventing students from being able to navigate to the participants page) by setting the permissions of moodle/site:viewparticipants and moodle/course:viewparticipants to n/a. 

Average of ratings: Useful (2)