Course full name in Email subject

Course full name in Email subject

by Richard van Iwaarden -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I think I have done this once, get the course full name in the Email subject in stead of the course short name.

However, I can't seem to find the right variable. In the language file, under forum, you can find this: 

{$a->courseshortname}: {$a->subject}

However, changing $a->courseshortname into $a->coursefulllname or $a>coursename does not seem to work. 

What is the correct variable to do this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

Re: Course full name in Email subject

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Richard,

I found the tracker issue 'Make subject line of forum notifications a configurable language string' - MDL-44505 - which mentions the placeholders

{$a->courseshortname}
{$a->forumname}
{$a->subject}

and the possibility of adding more, though nothing about course full name. Thus, unfortunately it seems it is not currently possible.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

I do remember it editing though, must be in core code then.

I will look a bit further. It's not a big issue, but since we switched to codes in the shortname of a course (so that it can be identified by other systems) we do not like showing the shortname to our users. It's ugly smile

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Richard,

No guarantee that they will work, but if you:

• go to Language customisation
  • select everything in the box for, Show strings of these components
  • then enter, $a->course, in the, Only strings containing, box
  • and then finally click on Show strings,
You should get these different possibilities to try.

{$a->course_name}
{$a->course}
{$a->coursename}
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

Tried them all, but none worked.

Thanks for this great trick though, I might use it a couple of times myself now!

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Update: Anyone please vote or comment on MDL-75072 if you would like to use a coursefullname placeholder for including the course full name in forum notifications.

In reply to Helen Foster

I voted!

We actually generate our course-short names from an external system. Recently I found one that had an abusive generated code... normally no one sees the course short name but this was being mailed around from the announcement forum... sad

Re: Course full name in Email subject [Solved]

by Helen Foster -

Thanks Richard for voting. I just learned though, from Jun's comment in MDL-75072, that the placeholder coursefullname is already available. smile