Generating random quiz based on selection of questions from ONE category

Generating random quiz based on selection of questions from ONE category

by Cari Jansen -
Number of replies: 2

Scenario.

I have a requirement where students are given a different case-study (this would be presented in question 1), and then the set of questions given relates to that case study. (the answers to the questions would be different, as, as part of the first question they get given a document from which they need to source the answers by reading and interpreting it).

Solution question

I'm trying to figure out how to do this in Moodle. I imagine I'd have 3 sets of questions, assigned to a category that is linked to the case-study.  But how do I ensure that the QUIZ itself draws all questions from one of the three categories randomly, and the FIRST question is locked in as it sets the case-study used.

Is this at all possible using Moodle? (or a plug-in?). 

Many thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cari Jansen

Re: Generating random quiz based on selection of questions from ONE category

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If I understand what you are asking, this is not possible just using the quiz.

If there are only three options, then it is feasible to do this using other Moodle tools. Specifically, create three Groups, one for each case-study.

Then create three separate quizzes, one for each case study, and use the Restrict access settnigs to limit access to each quiz to students in the appropriate group.

Doing this means that you can use the groups in other places in the course. For example you could make a forum for students to ask questions about their particular case study, and set it to Separate groups mode,

In reply to Cari Jansen

Re: Generating random quiz based on selection of questions from ONE category

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Red Handler,

As mentioned by Tim, there is no way to directly do what you want to achieve with the Quiz activity, but depending on the type of "answers," there may be a couple of work-arounds that would let you do it. Would need an example of a case-study and possible answers to give a more definitive answer. If you don't want to post that info, you can email me directly, drachels at drachels dot com.