(Essential) Course settings dropdown menu missing for trainers

(Essential) Course settings dropdown menu missing for trainers

by Brett Elphick -
Number of replies: 4

We have recently upgraded to moodle 3.5 using essential theme. As admins we can view this dropdown menu on a course page (see image) which use to be on the right side bar, but has been switched to the top navbar. However for our trainers and training coordinators the dropdown has no options  to choose from. We really need it as in the image as they need to access gradebook setup. It appears they have the permissions, but I can't seem to find where to configure it for them so all those options appear in the dropdown. Any help would be appreciated.

course settings

(Edited by Mary Cooch - original submission Tuesday, 14 August 2018, 11:43 PM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brett Elphick

Re:(Essential) Course settings dropdown menu missing for trainers

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello. As you are talking about the Essential theme, I will move your post to the Themes forumsmile

Re: (Essential) Course settings dropdown menu missing for trainers

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Ok....

1. What version of Essential please?
  2. Does the issue happen to the same menu in either the Clean or Boost themes?  If so then not a theme issue, if not then please post full details of the role / capability customisation with steps in order for replication of the issue to take place.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Brett Elphick -

We are running latest version 3.5.0.1 Same problem in other themes, but when logged in as individual training coordinators, gradebook setup can be viewed from the dropdown. When running as admin and switch role to trainer or training coordinator, gradebook setup does not appear in dropdown menu. Permissions, role and capability overview show that they have access to this report. I didn't set it up, so don't know the exact steps taken.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If the issue happens in other themes, then not a theme issue.  When in Essential I'm an 'admin' or switch role to a 'Teacher' then the gradebook setup does appear in the menu.  Thus must be down to the local role of trainer / training coordinator.  Without the knowledge of how they were set-up it is impossible to replicate and thus be in a position to debug and find a solution.  But as it is not an Essential or theme issue or something pertaining to one of my plugins, then I'm reluctant to spend time on it.