Theme element names - "site news" header bar - what's it called

Theme element names - "site news" header bar - what's it called

by Peter DeBruyn -
Number of replies: 15

I'm modifying a theme and I can't figure out where to modify the background color of the "site news" header bar on the front page.  Any help would be appreciated.

I would also be interested to know if there is any documentation which will help me with locating the css tag/name for various page elements?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter DeBruyn

Re: Theme element names - "site news" header bar - what's it called

by steven lyons -
The side block headers can be controlled by

div.header{

}

search for it in the theme .css files

by Kim . -

I found that there are toolbars you can download for your browser that can allow you to look at all the elements on a page.  Google for "yourbrowser CSS Inspector"... I got one for IE and it helped me out a lot.

by Peter DeBruyn -

Thank you both!  I found:

th.header,
td.header,
div.header {
    background-color: #333333;
}
in styles_color.css

I wasn't able to find a css tool for my browser Maxthon - so I installed firefox with the developers tools option and it comes with a built in css DOM tool that worked great.  Also found that Microsoft has a beta tool for IE "developer toolbar" but did not try it.

Re: Theme Tools

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers

A Firefox extension that I really like is called View Rendered Source Chart -- it outputs a nice layout of css styles.  here's a screenshot of the news block:
Attachment css.gif
In reply to Chardelle Busch

Change 'Site News' text - front page

by Chris Delaney -
Hi,

Looking for the actual source of the words 'Site News' that appears on the front page.

What would I change so that it read '(School Name) News'

Cheers

Chris
In reply to Chris Delaney

Re: Change 'Site News' text - front page

by Karen McClelland -
Easiest way is just to change the forum name. In the main menu block is Site News, just edit it to read what you want.
In reply to Karen McClelland

by Chris Delaney -
Hey thanks Karen,

This was so easy..... I can't believe I've been messing around trying all these other suggestions.

Thanks very much...

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Doh! Yes, sorry for giving you the wrong advice. I should have remembered this.

by Saro S -

Thanks very much for the easy solution. Like others mentioned I changed the language string 'Site News' to 'Announcements' but it did not do the change. But changing through the Main Menu block certainly worked.

by Sharon R -

Chris,

Hi, I'm new to this Theme Stuff to and trying to figure it all out since I am an admin. I have been trying to figure out how to change "Site News" text on the front page too, when I found your post. I changed it in Language Settings, but it did nothing. But I just realized that Site News forum is listed in the Main Menu block. Add that main menu block (if you don't already have it) and then update/edit the Site News item there.

Sharon

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The FIrebug plugin for Firefox is the best tool I have found for finding style tags and names by far!
In reply to Jon Witts

by Chris Delaney -
Yeah - I've got firebug and can find the source in html.....

But how do I edit and have the changes save. What file is it in my theme folder?

Sorry, I'm new to all this theme stuff.

by Frank Ralf -
Hi Chris,

Try Themes FAQ, CSS FAQ and Development:Firebug as a starting point for theming related information.

The easiest way to change only a handful of language strings is using Language_editing.

Moodle keeps its language strings in separate files, see Development:Places_to_search_for_lang_strings.

For example the string "Site news" is in line 1402 in moodle\lang\en_utf8\moodle.php

$string['sitenews'] = 'Site news';

So if you want to change a lot of strings you could make your own version of English for your Moodle site.

hth
Frank