Can't reply to messages - contacts only

Can't reply to messages - contacts only

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I've had a weird experience with messages recently. On here recently then on another site. 

Someone messages me and I reply. But I can't. I get an error saying they have set their messenger settings to only allow messages from contacts.

*Surely* this is a bug or am I being stupid?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Can't reply to messages - contacts only

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I assumed it was deliberate? I used to experience it myself too some years back, when I used to engage in private messages on here. It's quirky though, I agree. On twitter (for an example) you can only direct message someone if you follow them (ie, you are a contact) but with Moodle, someone can message you if your messages are open to all, but you cannot reply if they have it set to only contacts.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It seems to be that if you can message someone then that person ought to be able to reply - regardless of your privacy settings. It seems like a logical exception. 

MDL-63096

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I vote for bug!   That sort of thing is very much the abilities a 'spammer' has discovered they can employ ... only it's right inside Moodle??!!!!

2 cent vote/opinion.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

It is a setting available on each users Preferences.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)