Customize Bulk User Actions to include messaging to emails in user profile fields

Customize Bulk User Actions to include messaging to emails in user profile fields

by Madhu Avasarala -
Number of replies: 2
Requirement:

1. In bulk user actions, filter for a selection of users using the standard available filters.
  2. Create a selection.
  3. In the dropdown action list I would like to add "Message Parents".
  4. This should run a customized bulk messaging routine where the email ID's messaged to are basically not the user's email ID but obtained from user profile field holding a string of the parent email ID.
  5. This will be the simplest way to send messages to students' parents without having to create accounts for parents and enrolling with 'parent' role in all courses o students.

Any pointers to modifying which code and how will be highly appreciated. I am an experienced programmer but new to Moodle code and a PHP beginner.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Madhu Avasarala

Re: Customize Bulk User Actions to include messaging to emails in user profile fields

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Qualifications for this response in developer forum ... none really ... am not a developer/programmer ... but have learned how to use the system sometimes to get something desired ... without changing core code.

Have you looked into adding '(Parent)' to the Parents Last name ... at the very end?  For example, my last name is Task ... entry would be Task (Parent).

One could then search for 'Parent' and one should get all parent accounts in the system, I think.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Re: Customize Bulk User Actions to include messaging to emails in user profile fields

by Madhu Avasarala -

Nice idea. This will get me all parent accounts in system. But I want to be able to identify parents of a single or set of students by filtering. Then with this set of students I would like to message only this set's parents who are stored in the set's user's profile fields. So, am I not forced to modify the code?