Message ONLY Parents of users in a course

Message ONLY Parents of users in a course

by Madhu Avasarala -
Number of replies: 4

Moodle version: 3.5.2

Requirement

Message parents of users in a course. The parents are system users who have been assigned the role of parent linked to users in this course.  The role of parent is based on Moodle Docs.

Ideally I should be able to select the parents by role in say the participants list. Another way would be to use Bulk user actions somehow. 

I have tried to think of possible scenarios but have come up blank. I am prepared to even make small code modifications with some guidance. Thanks in advance!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Madhu Avasarala

Re: Message ONLY Parents of users in a course

by C Behan -

• Go to the list of course participants
  • Filter by role (parent)
  • Select all
  • Then on the dropdown for "With Selected Users", choose "Send Message"
In reply to C Behan

by Madhu Avasarala -

I understand this. However, I need to add context Course to the role of Parent and further maintain cohorts of parents and  enrol them as parents in courses of interest. Without this the filter in participants does not work to select parents of children.

I was hoping that once I attached the parent to the user as indicated in the Moodledocs, perhaps there was some way to message them without the further step of enroling them as parents.

In reply to Madhu Avasarala

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

This Moodle Doc might provide you with the information you need. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Two workarounds, depending on how many parents you have and in how many courses. (Whatever you do I wouldn't enrol them into student courses)

1. make a course just for parents. Add them with the regular student role. Then message them from there. If you really need to filter the parents from different courses, make groups with the course names so then you can filter the parents by group before messaging. 
  2. Edit either their first or surname (or even username) to include the word Parent - and then you can use Bulk user actions to filter from therE.

(And by the way - we are not yet on Moodle 3.5.2wink)