Awarding competencies on activity completion retrospectively.

Awarding competencies on activity completion retrospectively.

by Matt Aldred -
Number of replies: 3

I'm evaluating competencies and if I can use them for developing our staff. I can see myself having the scenario below.

--

A competency is linked to an activity, when the activity is completed the learners competency is then marked as competent . 

If a learner has already completed the activity above and then is put on a learning plan (by cohort) would the competency then update itself to competent retrospectively for the learner who had already completed the activity?

--

I have tried this on a test moodle, and my initial finding was that no it wouldn't, but I am new to competencies and wanted to check I hadn't missed a setting or incorrectly set things up.

If we push out core competencies by cohort sync, ideally I didn't want to then manually change or mark competencies as complete for staff who had already taken the initiative or had already been trained. 

Anyone else done this or worked out a way around it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Aldred

Re: Awarding competencies on activity completion retrospectively.

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

My experience is that you cannot do retrospective competencies that will automatically "rate" the students for past course completions. Competencies are created as of the current date, so they do not exist in the past.

You can as an administrator manually rate each student for the competency, but there is no "gradebook" type of view for competencies......

That type of editable, view is missing from competencies and learning plans.

In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Ramon Ovelar -

Hello, 

Very interesting question. I am in a similar situation as I have a big bunch of courses dealing with the staff competencies that we would like to manage with the Moodle competencies feature. I guess the solution here would be to [carefully] update the learning plans in the database. Something like a "bulk manual synchronisation".

For me this would be critical, I think competencies management with Moodle in our faculty development system will be much more successful if we take into account past achievements. I hope I will have time to try it sometime...

Best,

In reply to Ramon Ovelar

by Matt Aldred -

Hi Ramon, Thanks for replying - if you manage to get anywhere updating via the database please let me know!